Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.67560°N / 105.5567°W
Additional Information County: Clear Creek
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11273 ft / 3436 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Snow blowing inSnow blowing in over the Mount Evans Group


Snuggled in between well-know Echo Lake (elevation 10597 ft.) to the west and the more popular Chief Mountain (elevation 11709 ft. ) to the east, Warrior Mountain sits just south of Hwy 103 (Squaw Pass Road). Less frequently visited than more popular area icons, many motorists speed past Warrior Mountain en route to view the Mountain Goats on Mount Evans Road. Many surely enjoy a summer meal at the Warrior Mountain Picnic Grounds, unaware that above them rises a friendly peak with a fearsome name.

For those willing to explore a bit, the boulder-strewn summit of Warrior Mountain provides for grand views to the west of the Mount Evans (elevation 14265 ft.) Group. Nearby Elevener Chief Mountain rises directly to the east. On a clear day, parts of the Denver Metropolitan Area are visible to the northeast.

Rank: 1653rd highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 373 feet
USGS Quad: Idaho Springs
Recreational Map: Trails Illustrated #104 Idaho Springs | Georgetown | Loveland Pass

Rank & Prominence Source: Lists of John

Getting There & Standard Route

Warrior Mountain Picnic GroundsWarrior Mountain Picnic Grounds
Road toward summitRoad toward summit
Route Map, Warrior MountainRoute Map, Warrior Mountain

Just below the summitJust below the summit
West along the summitWest along the summit


The majority of visitors to the summit of Warrior Mountain will use is the very short route from the Warrior Mountain Picnic Ground described here. The more hard-core may prefer an ascent from Barber Fork Road or Soda Creek Road near Idaho Springs, but many peak nerds will be satisfied visiting Warrior Mountain as a short side trip added to a day of visiting other mountains.

Driving from Denver
• Follow I-70 west to Exit #252, which is CO 74 (Evergreen Parkway).
• Take Evergreen Parkway for roughly 3 miles to Hwy 103 (Squaw Pass Road).
• Turn right on Squaw Pass Road.
• Follow Squaw Pass Road westbound for about 14-ish miles.
• Keep a look out for the Warrior Mountain Picnic Grounds, on your left / south.

If you reach the intersection of CO Hwy 103 (Squaw Pass Road) and CO Hwy 5 (Mount Evans Highway) you have gone too far.

Walking Route
Roundtrip Distance: ½ mile
Elevation Gain: 115 feet

• From the parking area at the Warrior Mountain Picnic Grounds on the south side of CO Hwy 103, follow the road heading eastward uphill.
• Continue on this road as it curves south until the radio towers are in sight.
• As the road turns west, and before reaching the radio towers, depart the road and head southward directly up the rocks toward the summit.

Red Tape

East along the summitEast along the summit
Descending the summitDescending the summit


There are no fees to use Squaw Pass Road (CO Hwy 103). There is no other
significant red tape that I am aware of in this part of the National Forest.





Camping & Lodging

Old snag in the snowOld snag in the snow
On the summit of Warrior MountainOn the summit of Warrior Mountain


Echo Lake Campground
The Echo Lake campground is less than three miles from Warrior Mountain via CO Hwy 103. It is a small, relatively high elevation campground at 10,600 feet elevation with only 18 sites and is open seasonally from (roughly) late May through mid-September.

Georgetown
The community of Georgetown has a few lodging options, mostly of the simple, family-run variety. Visit the Trip Advisor Georgetown Page for more information on lodging in this town.

Idaho Springs
Like Georgetown, nearby Idaho Springs has a few simple, family-run lodging options. Visit the Trip Advisor Idaho Springs Page for more information on lodging in this town.

Weather & Seasons

Pure mountain blissPure mountain bliss
Stimpy the Wonder MuttStimpy the Wonder Mutt


Warrior Mountain is a year-round peak for most abilities. The blocks on the upper part of the mountain, after leaving the road, might pose a challenge when snow-covered. Heavy snows in winter and spring could result in temporary closure of Hwy 103. Expect very dense crowds along the Hwy 103 / Hwy 5 corridor in the summer.

Zone Forecast for Georgetown, CO