Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.56798°N / 118.95481°W
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11785 ft / 3592 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A rather neglected peak just south of Pyramid Peak (Sherwin Summit) near the town of Mammoth Lakes. It is a long scramble from many different directions with possibilities for more technical routes on the NE ridge or west face. Steep gullies and accessibility would make for a good ski touring peak in the winter and spring months.

Named Herlihy Peak by R.J. Secor in his book The High Sierra: Peaks, Passes, and Trails in memory of Bob Herlihy.

Getting There

There are two ways to approach the peak:

Start at Lake Mary at the Cold Water Campground and take the trail to Duk Pass. Near Skelton Lake or Wood Lakes begin the long slog to the summit. Approximate approach distance ~4 miles.

or

Start at the Valentine Lake/Sherwin Lakes trail head and follow it until it ends at Valentine Lake. Turn southwest from there towards the summit. Approximate approach distance ~5.5 miles.

Red Tape

This is an easy day trip from either trail head and no permits are required.
Peak 3592mNE Ridge

Climbing

Various routes up the peak:
West slope: class 2; talus climb to the summit ridge.
West face: class 3; first ascent September 2003 by Chris Libby. Hike to the top of Pyramid Peak from either Heart Lake or Sherwin Creek Road. Descend about 200 feet on the west side of Pyramid Peak over loose rock with downsloping ledges. Traverse south under the deep cleft that separates these two peaks before climbing before climbing to the top. (From personal experience, the 3rd class rating seems an overstatement, it is just a lot of loose talus; and unless Pyramid was on the tick list it is unnecessary to climb to the summit for the route.)
South ridge: class 2; first ascent September 3rd, 1966 by Andy Smatko, Bill Schuler, Ellen Siegal, and Bob Herlihy. This route ends by traversing out onto the west face and climbing a steep scree chute.
Variation: continue up and over the ridge and follow summit plateau to the summit proper from the east side.
Northeast ridge class 4; fourth class start of the ridge may be avoided by joining farther up on the east side. The ridge itself is mostly class 2 and 3 with a couple fourth class sections on the ridge proper that may be avoided again by saying lower on the east side. Once at the summit plateau, continue to summit.

Additional route information taken from R.J. Secor's The High Sierra: Peaks, Passes, and Trails.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
PrestonRhea

PrestonRhea - Jan 14, 2011 5:14 pm - Hasn't voted

FA of the NE Ridge?

I climbed this route Halloween of last year (10/31/2010) and have looked all over the place but can't seem to find any information if it had been done before. I find it too obvious of a route to be missed, but that whole area seems rather neglected in favour of the much more prominent and aesthetic peaks nearby. Any information would be fantastic.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Mar 16, 2017 12:41 am - Voted 5/10

Wrong Location

Herlihy Peak is the south summit of nearby Pyramid Peak, as described by RJ Secor in his guidebook. The summit identified here is listed as Peak 3592m in Secor's book, page 368 of the 3rd edition. Note that the route information from RJ Secor is for the actual Herlihy Peak, not the one depicted here.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.