Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.10995°N / 117.17722°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: San Diego
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1644 ft / 501 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Double Peak from Discovery LakeDouble Peak from Discovery Lake


-5 miles round trip, elevation gain 1000 ft.
-First mile is paved, then a "single track" trail goes to the ridge where a fire road continues to the peak.
-Suitable for hikers, experienced mountain bikers, experienced equestrians, and cross-country runners.
-Dogs on leash OK.

Cross the spillway bridge and the Discovery Lake Dam, and head up the paved road that winds up the hill through the new development on a soft-surface trail, crossing the street at Via Vera Cruz, passing between the houses (stay straight) and up to a large water tank (about 3/4 mile). A soft surface trail begins at the end of the paved road just to the left of the water tank. Follow the Double Peak Trail Sign. About 1/2 mile watch on the right for another "Double Peak" trail marker, turn right and follow the trail to the ridge. Go left on the ridge and watch for further trail markers.

The trail climbs 2.5 miles from Discovery Lake to Double Peak, the second highest peak (1644') in the Cerro de las Posas Mountains of San Marcos. The view from the peak is spectacular ­ west to the Pacific Ocean and coastal lagoons, north to Mt. Baldy in the San Gabriels, San Jacinto Peak and Old Greyback in the San Bernadinos and the Palomar Mountains, east to the Cuyamacas and southeast to the Harmony Grove and San Dieguito River Valley.

Coastal Sage Scrub and Chaparral habitats are the most commonly encountered native plant communities in the area. The Harmony Grove fire swept over these hills in October 1996 and many burned shrub skeletons are still evident. The plants, however, are making a quick comeback. Abundant native shrubs include Laurel Sumac, Lemonade Berry, Chamise, California Lilac, Scrub Oak, Monkeyflowers, White & Black Sage, Mission Manzanita, California Buckwheat, Toyon, Bush Mallow, and Coyote Bush.

-From San Marcos City Parks website (http://www.ci.san-marcos.ca.us/index.aspx?page=268).

Getting There

From San Diego, take I-15 N, then merge onto CA-78 W. Take exit 12 for San Marcos Blvd and turn left at W. San Marcos Blvd. Turn left at S. Bent Ave and continue onto Craven Rd. Turn right at Foxhall Dr until you arrive at Lakeview Park.

From the north, take I-5 S, then exit 51B to merge onto CA-78 E/Vista Way. Take exit 12 for San Marcos Blvd
and turn right at W San Marcos Blvd, then left at S Bent Ave. Continue onto Craven Rd and turn right at Foxhall Dr until you arrive at Lakeview Park.

To access the trailhead, start at Lakeview Park off the intersection of Foxhall & Poppy Road in Discovery Hills.
Click here for directions to trailhead and trail map

Red Tape

No red tape - parking is free and there are maps and relevant information provided at the trailhead.

External Links

http://www.ci.san-marcos.ca.us/index.aspx?page=268.