Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.16438°N / 105.75289°W
Activities Activities: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11957 ft / 3644 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Twin Peaks is a beautiul set of two peaks above the Roaring Fork Drainage and Lake Granby. The highest peak can be seen from Lake Granby, and it is also very beautiful from the Watanga Lake area. It is an easy peak to climb, only class 2. This is a great peak to climb, and from the Roaring Fork Trailhead it is 12.6 miles roundtrip, and there is 3700 feet of elevation gain.

Getting There

Drive north out of Granby for three miles till a sign comes into view for Arapahoe Bay. Turn right on this road, pay your $5 entrance fee and follow the road as it goes along Lake Granby for around 10 miles until there comes a fork in the road. Turn left and follow the signs to the Roaring Fork Trailhead. Follow the Roaring Fork trail as it steeply switchbacks up along the river. After the trail levels out, follow it along the lovely valley until you come to a switchback in the trail. Take the left fork to Watanga Lake. This fork is about three miles into the trail. Follow the trail, which gets better further along as it switchbacks steeply up a hill. After one mile after the trail junction, you reach Watanga Lake. From here, you can take a nice break before making the summit climb.

From the lake, head north along Watanga Creek for about 0.5 miles to 11,000 feet. From here, turn west and angle up to the Roaring Peak-Twin Peaks saddle at 11,300 feet. From here, turn southwest and head up to the summit. The summit is the westernmost point on the summit plateau. Return the same way after taking in the great view from the summit.

Red Tape

No permit is required to day hike here, but you have to pay $5 to access the road to the trailhead. A permit is required to camp at Watanga Lake, but please respect the area as it is very beautiful.

Camping

Camping is available all along the trail, but is best at Watanga Lake.