Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.45456°N / 121.89444°W
Additional Information County: King
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2602 ft / 793 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Taylor Mountain is a low elevation peak located within the "Issaquah Alps" region of King County, Washington. The mountain summit sees few visitors, although the nearby park named "Taylor Mountain Forest" located on the southwest slopes of the mountain has an extensive trail system and is used by many visitors.

An extensive array of logging roads provides the most straightforward and least difficult route to the summit. The summit and logging roads leading to it are found on private land, although the landowners allow non-motorized access to those areas of the mountain. South of the summit and summit ridge is the Cedar River Municipal Watershed, which is a watershed closed to all public access. The summit is currently covered over by a gigantic slash pile of branches and trees.
Taylor Mountain SummitSlash Pile At Summit

Taylor Mountain can be summited any time of the year. Due to the gentle slopes, road walks, and low elevation, the peak can be a good choice for amateur hikers during Spring, Summer, and Autumn months. The peak can also be a great choice during Winter months, when snowshoers can enjoy lowland snowpack and no avalanche danger on the summit route.
Taylor MountainOne Of Multiple Roads Along Summit Route...

The following satellite image shows the general summit route, following only logging roads. The summit route is approximately 7.5 miles roundtrip, starting/ending at the gated road across HIghway 18 from the Tiger Summit Trailhead.
Taylor Mountain Summit RouteSatellite Image Of Summit Route

Getting There

From Issaquah, WA:
1) Drive east on I-90 for several miles.
2) Take Exit 25 (Highway 18). Turn right onto Highway 18.
3) Drive south on Highway 18 for 4.0 miles to the Tiger Summit Trailhead parking lot. From here, there are two options:
OPTION #1: Park in the Tiger Summit Trailhead parking lot, walk across Highway 18, and briefly head north to a gated road (Road 35900) on the east side of the highway at 1377' elevation.
OPTION #2: From the Tiger Summit Trailhead parking lot, turn left onto Highway 18 and drive back north a short distance to a gated road (Road 35900) on the east side of the highway at 1377' elevation. Park on the side of the road near the gate, making certain not to block the gate or entranceway.
NOTE: Option #1 is more dangerous in regards to crossing a busy highway, although Option #2 could be less desirable because the private landowners (as well as county & state officials) might not like cars being parked along Highway 18 at that area.
------------

From The Road 35900 Gate:
1) Hike southwest along Road 35900.
2) Take the second road (~1425' elevation) encountered along the left side of Road 35900. This road is the first left-bearing road at a "V" intersection, heading south, uphill, and away from the powerlines.
3) Take the first road (~1580' elevation) that turns right, heading west.
4) Take the first road (~1750' elevation) that turns left, heading southeast.
5) At ~2050' elevation, the main summit route/road continues east and slightly downhill, while a side road heads south and uphill. Continue straight (east) and slightly downhill; do not turn.
6) After heading east, the road veers northeast, further downhill, and away from the mountain ridge. The road heads downhill until ~1800' elevation, but then the road will turn south, heading back uphill and towards the summit.
7) At ~2300' elevation, the summit road turns east and parallel to the summit ridge.
8) The summit road continues east, slightly downhill, then slightly uphill, and passing northeast of the summit.
9) At ~2450' elevation, a side-road (which is the summit road) turns sharply right (southwest) and uphill.
10) Follow the side-road to a road junction, which is at the summit area.

Red Tape

Beginning during 2011, parking areas and trailheads within and for the Issaquah Alps region require a Discover Pass to be in each vehicle during the visit. Failure to have a Discover Pass visible within a parked vehicle at these locations can result in a substantial fine. For more information regarding the Discover Pass, please visit the official website.

Only non-motorized access is allowed along the Taylor Mountain summit route.

The Cedar River Municipal Watershed is located south of the summit and summit ridge. No public access is allowed within the watershed. People have been known to be arrested and prosecuted for entering the watershed.

Camping

No camping is allowed on Taylor Mountain or the summit route.

External Links

Green Trails Map #204S ("Tiger Mountain/Taylor Mountain") contains some useful topographic information, although most of the summit route roads are not shown on the map. However, the nearby "Taylor Mountain Forest" trail system is shown on the map.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Issaquah AlpsMountains & Rocks