Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.55974°N / 105.19529°W
Additional Information County: Colfax
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11165 ft / 3403 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Green Mountain is a mountain located in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of Northern New Mexico. Just south of Touch Me Not Mountain, Green Mountain is located just outside of Philmont Scout Ranch. At 11,165, Green Mountain towers prominently over the Cimarron Canyon State Park, Eagles Nest and the entire Moreno Valley. The summit of Green Mountain, unfortunately, is clad in communication towers and has a road that winds its way to the summit. Although the summit lacks in beauty, the views make up for it. Like any peak in Northern New Mexico, the views are endless with amazing views of Philmont Scout Ranch, Moreno Valley, the Wheeler Peak Massif, the Latir Peaks, Colorado and much more.

Looking SouthPanorama Looking South from the Summit

Route Information

Most people who reach this summit drive to the top due to the fact that the road goes all the way to the summit. In order to drive this road up, you need a high clearance vehicle!!
Little MeadowHiking towards the top
From the HighwaySouth Face of Green Mountain from the Highway


Hiking Opportunities: If you wanted to, you could hike the road the whole way up to the top, which is around five miles. This would make sense in the winter when access on the road be be limited. Some people hike it coming from Philmont Scout Ranch coming from Baldy, going over Touch-Me-Not Mountain and then coming to Green Mountain. However, for those looking for an easy hike, you can park around 10,500 along the the road and hike along one of the many logging roads that cut around the mountain to reach the summit. There is really no defined trail, but the trail that we took was a variation of the trail going up to Touch-Me-Not Mountain. This just criss-cross various logging roads through stands of aspens and occasional pocket meadows.

Looking at the ease of access, I would say that the South Aspect of Green Mountain with good snow would make an excellent ski descent into Cimarron Canyon

Camping

SunsetSunset looking SE

You can pretty much camp anywhere around the peak on the Forest Service Land.
Also, there is lots of devolped camping in Cimarron Canyon State Park

Getting There

From Eagles Nest, take US 64 east of Eagles Nest. At the bottom of the very very sharp switch back, take a left at the Eagles Nest Reintegration Center Sign and then very left onto the marked Forest Road. The Forest road then winds its way up five miles to the summit.

The Easy WayJeep by the summit
From Moreno ValleyTouch Me Not and Green Mountain

External Links

Cimarron Canyon State Park Manager:
(505) 377-6271
PO Box 185
Eagle Nest, NM 87718

Current Weather
Current Weather Conditions as forecasted by NOAA

Carson National Forest
Information about other nearby attractions and current conditions of the area.

Misc

If you have any other photos/information, please post them to this page or let me know!