Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.96950°N / 105.6439°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13060 ft / 3981 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

"Medio" Truchas Peak is the third highest summit of the Truchas Group in the heart of the pristine Pecos Wilderness. "Medio" Truchas is located 0.5 miles N of South Truchas Peak, 0.9 miles SW of North Truchas Peak and 0.4 miles E-SE of Middle Truchas. At 13,060 feet, "Medio" Truchas Peak is the 6'th highest summit in New Mexico, but it is not ranked only having a prominence of 180 feet. The spectacular steep and cliffy north face makes "Medio" and the neighboring Middle Truchas Peak the most rugged high peaks in the southern Sangre de Cristo mountains.

Middle and Medio Truchas Peaks from the northMedio (left) and Middle (right) Tuchas Peaks from the north
South, Medio and Middle Truchas Peaks from North Truchas PeakNorth side and NE Ridge of "Medio" Truchas Peak from the north
Medio Truchas Peak reflected in Truchas Lake"Medio" Truchas Peak from Truchas Lake
South and Medio Truchas Peaks from the northeastSouth and "Medio" Truchas Peaks from NE
Middle and Medio Truchas Peaks: Route MapMiddle and "Medio" Truchas Peak Route Map

Route Information

There are many ways to access "Medio" Truchas Peak. The shortest approach is from the west via routes originating at Rio Quemado TH. From the north, access is from the Trampas Lakes Trailhead or the Santa Barbara Campground via Trails #24/#25. From the south, it can be accessed from the upper Pecos River Valley trailheads via Skyline Trail (Trail #251), Beatty's Trail (Trail #25) or Jack's Creek Trail (Trail #257).

NW Ridge Route from NENorthwest Ridge Route on Middle Truchas Peak


If you starting from Rio Quemado TH, the Northwest Ridge of Middle Truchas Peak Route and traversing from the summit of Middle Truchas provides the shortest and easiest way to climb "Medio" Truchas Peak. The other variation involves hiking to the saddle between North and "Medio" Truchas Peaks, ascending the Northeast Ridge of "Medio" Truchas Peak.

North Truchas Peak from Medio TruchasNortheast Ridge Route on "Medio" Truchas Peak
[img:685354:aligncenter:medium:Northeast Ridge Route on "Medio" Truchas Peak]

Red Tape

The summit of "Medio" Truchas Peak and access routes are located in Pecos Wilderness. Wilderness regulations apply. No permits are required for both day-hikes and overnight backpack trips. Camping is not permitted within 200 feet of a lake and within 50 feet of a stream/river. For more information, contact Santa Fe National Forest (505-438-5300)

When to Climb

June through October is considered the best time to climb. Late July-August are the typical monsoon season, with regular afternoon thunderstorms. The access routes usually have snow well into late spring/mid-June. Winter ascents are possible, but avalanche conditions could be extreme and the approaches are significantly longer and usually require overnight or multi-day backpack.

Miscellaneous Info

Pecos Wilderness map (published by the US Forest Service)

USGS Map Quad: Truchas Peak

Santa Fe National Forest webpage

Pecos Wilderness webpage

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.