Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.92218°N / 73.1438°W
Additional Information County: Bennington
Additional Information Elevation: 2857 ft / 871 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bald Mountain is a mountain just outside the city of Bennington, Vermont. It lies within the Glastenbury Wilderness Area of the Green Mountain National Forest. The mountain was most likely named "Bald" due to a forest fire which cleared the summit in the early part of the 20th century, remnants of which can be seen in the white soil at the summit area. Since that time the evergreen forest has regrown and views are somewhat limited but still very nice to the south and east. For those of you interested in the mysterious, this hike is within the area known as the "Bennington Triangle" The area being known for unsolved disappearances, unexplained events and strange creatures.

Getting There

Glastenbury Wilderness Boundary
There are 2 main approaches to the summit.

Bennington:
-From Rt 7 take Kocher Drive to the east. Kocher Drive meets North Branch St Extension at light. Follow N. Branch St Ext. to power line crossing (limited Parking).
-From Rte 9 turn north on North Branch St, Turn right over a bridge onto N. Branch St. Ext. to power line crossing 9 (limited parking).

Woodford Hollow:
-From Rt. 9 4 miles from Bennington, turn North on Harbor Rd, follow for .8 miles to a large concrete water tank on left side of road. Parking limited, (*Make sure not to block the road, driveway or the trail when you park).

Bald Mtn Trail from Bennington:
The trail begins at the power line crossing, follow blue blazes up old woods roads for about 1 mile. The trail reaches White Rocks lookout at 2.6 miles. The junction with the West Ridge Trail is at 3.5 miles, some views can be enjoyed here. (*Actual summit is .1 miles north on West Ridge Trail and marked with large cairn.) 7.2 Miles Round Trip, 2142ft Elev, Gain.

Bear Wallow Trail from Woodford Hollow:
The blue-blazed trail begins behind the concrete water tower on old woods roads. Pay close attention to the blazes as there are other private trails in the area. at .3 miles you reach the Wilderness Boundary, marked by a sign and sign-in box. The Bear Wallow Spring side trail leads off at 1.6 miles, continue straight here another .3 miles up through the evergreen forest to the junction with the West Ridge Trail.(*Actual summit is .1 miles north on West Ridge Trail and marked with large cairn.)
4.0 Miles Round Trip, 1580ft elev. Gain.

*Note: From the summit you can proceed another 7-8 miles along the West Ridge Trail to Glastenbury Mtn, where there is a AT/LT shelter and a firetower.

Red Tape

Major construction going on in the area of N. Branch St Ext., not sure how that is affecting the trailhead.

Camping

There is a fairly well used camping area right near the summit marker. This camping area does not seem to meet the GMNF recommendation of 200ft distance from the trail, but it is well established and is pretty level with a fire ring.

GMNF Camping Regulations:
There are many general forest areas available on the Green Mountain National Forest for rustic or dispersed camping. These areas provide a place to camp and enjoy nature’s solitude at no charge. Visitors can camp anywhere on the forest unless the area is posted closed to camping. Camp in existing sites or stay the strongly recommended 200 feet from roads, streams, trails, and bodies of water to disperse impact. Do not cut any vegetation. There is a camping limit of 14 days in any 30-day period on the Forest. Please leave the campsites clean by using Leave No Trace Principles, such as carry out what you carry in.

External Links

Green Mountain National Forest
Peakbagger

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Green Mountains (Vermont)Mountains & Rocks