Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.46109°N / 121.49892°W
Additional Information County: Shasta
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8753 ft / 2668 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Crossing a snowfield  below Bumpass Mtn.
Crossing a small snowfield below Bumpass Mtn.
Bumpass Mountain won't win any beauty contests. It's no Matterhorn or Cathedral Peak in Yosemite. It is the mound of volcanic rubble composed of dactite boulders produced by the last eruption of Lassen Peak that is perched above popular Bumpass Hell two miles south of Lassen Peak in the heart of Lassen Volcanic National Park. The upper part of the mountain is an easy class 2-3 boulder hop and the summit is a level field of the same. There are nice views of Lassen Peak and the ridge of peaks going southwest to Brokeoff Mountain. To the southwest is Mount Conard and on out across Sacramento Valley to the Yolla Bolly Mountains of the Coast Range. To the north and east are the 2 Prospect Peaks and Mount Harkness and directly to the northeast is Reading Peak.
The best way to do this peak is by incorporating it into a loop with Bumpass Hell to make for and interesting little dayhike.

Getting There

 
Bumpass Hell
Bumpass Hell

South approach from Interstate 5
From the Bumpass Hell trail: From I-5 at Red Bluff go east on Hwy 36 towards Mineral. Turn north at the junction with Hwy 89 and go north 11 miles through the park entrance to the parking overlook. Take the trail to Bumpass Hell down about a half mile then break trail to the left and hike east a half mile to the summit of Bumpass Mountain. Hiking further down the trail another half mile from the break off point brings you to the steaming mud pots of Bumpass Hell.

From King Creek Campground via the Crumbaugh Lake/Boiling Springs Trail: From I-5 in Redding go east on Hwy. 36 toward Mineral. Turn north at the junction with Hwy. 89 and go through the park 14.5 miles over the high point by Lassen Peak and down to the turn to Kings Creek Campground. Turn right and go .5 miles to the campground.
The direct approach is a straight scramble to the west about a mile right from the trailhead.

For the Kings Creek/Bumpass Hell loop: Take the Boiling Springs/Crumbaugh Lake Trail .7 miles. Take the trail to the right around Boiling Springs Lake 2 miles to Bumpass Hell. Continue through Bumpass Hell and up the trail about a half mile and break trail to the right. Hike about a half mile to the top of Bumpass Mountain. Once on the summit continue down the bouldery then forested east slope about a mile back to the Kings Creek trailhead. This is an easy 5 mile loop and the most interesting way to hike this peak.

North approach from Interstate 5
From I-5 in Redding go east 46 miles on Hwy. 44 to Hwy. 89. Turn right into the park on 89 and drive 17 miles around Lassen Peak to Kings Creek trailhead.
Continue another 6 miles up past Lassen Peak to the parking lot overlook from the Bumpass Hell trailhead.

Red Tape

 
Boulder hopping Bumpass Mountain
Boulder hopping near the summit.
 
Eagle Peak and Lassen Peak from Bumpass Mtn. area
Eagle and Lassen Peaks from below Bumpass Mtn.
This is in Lassen Volcanic National Park and a fee of 10 dollars per vehicle and 5 dollars per person gets you into the park.

Camping

 
Southwest from Bumpass Mtn.
Mt. Conard and Bumpass Hell below from Bumpass Mtn.
There is a campground at the south entrance station to the park at 7,000'. There is also the Kings Creek Campground at eastern approach at 7,400'.
More camping and lodging info is available at the Lassen Volcanic National Park page.

Current road and weather conditions

 
Prospect Peaks from Bumpass Mtn.
Prospect Peaks from Bumpass Mtn. east slope
For Lassen Volcanic National Park road and weather conditions.

Etymology

 
Bumpass Mtn. from the Lassen Peak Trail
Bumpass Mtn. and Mount Helen from the Lassen Peak Trail
 
Bumpass Hell fumaroles
Bumpass Hell


"In 1864 Kendall Vanhook Bumpass, a well known hunter and mountain man, discovered Bumpass Hell, the largest geothermal feature in Lassen Park. He was also the first person to accidently step through the thin crust and suffered a severe burn. The name Bumpass Hell remains a warning against careless wandering in the most active geothermal feature of the park"

THE STORY BEHIND THE SCENERY by Ellis Richard

External Links

Bumpass Hell - Lassen Volcanic National Park
WILLHITEWEB.COM