Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.38302°N / 2.11710°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 9547 ft / 2910 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Massif of PuigmalMassif of Puigmal

Summit of PuigmalSummit

Puigmal or Puigmal d'Er (2,910m) is the highest peak of its massif at S.E. of Cerdanya and at west of Vall de Núria. It's the fourth peak above 2,900m of Cerdanya / Cedagne after Carlit (2,921m), Tossa Plana de Lles (2,916m) and Puigpedrós (2,914m).

The massif of Puigmal is frontier between France and Spain and the mountain has routes from both sides.

Puigmal is the 7th in the list of most prominent mountains of Iberian peninsula with 1,329m (this include Spain, Portugal and French Pyrenees), after Mulhacén (3,479m), Aneto (3,404m), Torrecerredo (2,650m), Almanzor (2,561m), Torrecilla (1,918m) and Pico de la Sagra (2,381m). If you see the list you can discover that mountain as the second most prominent of Pyrenees after Aneto.

Note: what's the prominence? it's the elevation over a col that join the peak with other higher peak. Most information about prominence: wikipedia

Getting There

NúriaNúria

South side:
The most popular trailhead is the Sanctuary of Núria (1,960m), but you have routes from Queralbs (1,220m) or Collada de Fontalba (2,074m) if ypu don't want to pay the train.

North side:
Les Planes (1,971m): end of track of ski-resort of Err-Puigmal 2600.


see bigger map

Red Tape

Coll d EinaRules

The train from Ribes de Freser to Nuria is nice but it's a little expensive if you only want to climb mountains. You must consult the timetable and the prizes: timetable.

A part of North side is in the Natural reserve of Eina (Eyne) with rules about wildlife, camping... the free camping is forbidden but you have an area signalled around the train station in Núria.


Camping

Camping NuriaCamping zone

You have a few of hotels in the villages.

Campings:

-vall de Núria (near of the sanctuary)
-vall de Ribes

External Links

Valldenuria.cat
cerdagne Puigmal ski-resort (catalá and french)

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.