Peak 12956 ft (Hartenstein Lake)

Peak 12956 ft (Hartenstein Lake)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.83823°N / 106.37057°W
Additional Information County: Chaffee/Gunnison
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 12956 ft / 3949 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Peak 12956 ft, SE face









Peak 12956 ft & Hartenstein Lake
Rank:
Colorado’s 664th highest peak
Colorado’s 27th highest 12er
Prominence: 576 ft



Peak 12956 ft rises on the continental divide in the Sawatch Mountains of Central Colorado near the famous 14er Mt. Yale. To the south of Peak 12956 ft you will find a high alpine bowl that houses the 11451 ft Hartenstein Lake. Turner Peak (13233 ft) and Point 12739 ft rise on the south side of the bowl.

Hartenstein Lake is a local hiking destination and has a well-established trail that branches off of the Mt. Yale Trail. The southern slopes of Peak 12956 ft rise steeply above Hartenstein Lake giving the peak a rugged appearance. After snow melt, you could hike up the steep slopes to reach the summit of Peak 12956 ft.

Getting There

The trailhead for Hartenstein Lake is the same as the Denny Creek Trailhead for Mt. Yale.

From the only traffic light in Buena Vista (the junction of Route 24 and Cottonwood Pass Rd), turn west onto Cottonwood Pass Rd (County Rd 306) and drive 12 miles to the well signed Denny Creek Trailhead. There is plenty of parking at the trailhead. Cottonwood Pass Rd is paved.

Route

All distances are per my GPS.

Place
Elevation
Distance
Trailhead
9900 ft
zero miles
Mt. Yale Trail Jct.
10650 ft
1.3 miles
Browns Pass Trail Jct.
11150 ft
0.75 miles
Hartenstein Lake
11451 ft
1.1 miles
Summit
12956 ft
0.85 miles
Total
-
4.0 miles






Map
Map


Hike up the well signed Mt. Yale/Hartenstein Lake/Browns Pass Trail. You will go through a pine forest.





Lower parts of the trail
Trail


You will cross Denny Creek and then reach another well signed junction. Right goes to Mt. Yale. Continue straight (left). As the forest thins out, you will see Peak 12956 ft rising majestically to the northwest.





First View of Peak 12956 ft
First View of Peak 12956 ft


You will then reach another signed junction. Right goes to Browns Pass. Turn left and cross the creek. The trail will take you onto the southeastern slopes of Peak 12956 ft. Turner Peak will also come to view.






Turner Peak
Turner Peak
Peak 12956 ft
Peak 12956 ft


Continue east on the trail until you reach the end of it on the northern shores of Hartenstein Lake.





Hartenstein Lake & Point 12739 ft
Hartenstein Lake & Point 12739 ft


You will then have to find your own way to the top of Peak 12956 ft. On the topographic map, the slopes to the west of Hartenstein Lake appear gentle. I had planned to go up these slopes to the saddle between Turner Peak and Peak 12956. Once I reached the lake, the slopes on the west side of the lake appeared to have a growth of bushes on them. I did not want to risk getting stuck in an impenetrable growth of bushes so I decided to just go up the steep southern slopes of Peak 12956 ft.

At a spot where the forest was thin, I began to go up the southern slopes of Peak 12956 ft. I got great views of Mt. Yale.





Mt. Yale & Hartenstein Lake
Mt. Yale & Hartenstein Lake


And Turner Peak.





Turner Peak
Turner Peak


Once the forest ended, I noted that the slopes were covered by bushes. I had to choose paths that minimized bushwhacking but in a few places, I ended up forcing my way through the bushes.






Summit/Bushwhacking
Summit/Bushwhacking
Summit/Bushwhacking
Summit/Bushwhacking


Farther up, the bushes ended. The slopes were steep.





Below Summit on the Steep Southern Slopes
Below Summit


The view of Hartenstein Lake was wonderful.





Hartenstein Lake from the southern slopes of Peak 12956 ft
Hartenstein Lake


The southern slopes below the very top of Peak 12956 ft seemed to be rocky and nasty. I went to a 12780 ft saddle between Peak 12956 ft and Point 12900 ft.





Near 12780 ft Saddle
From the 12780 ft Saddle


I then went to the northern slopes of Peak 12956 ft and followed the ridgetop just below the crux of it to reach the summit.





Point 12900 ft
Point 12900 ft & the 12780 ft Saddle


Views from the summit of Peak 12956 ft:














Huron Peak, Ice Mtn. & The Apostles
Huron Peak, Ice Mountain & The Apostles/NW
Mt. Harvard
Mt. Harvard/North
Looking West
West
Cottonwood Pass
Cottonwood Pass/SW
Mt. Yale
Mt. Yale/East
Turner Peak & Gladstone Ridge
Turner Peak/South
Mt. Princeton
Mt. Princeton/SE
Hartenstein Lake
Hartenstein Lake/South


Red Tape

No fees or permits for day hikes. For other regulations, see the site for San Isabel National Forest.

Weather Forecast

See the forecast for the nearby town of Buena Vista.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawatch RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 12ersMountains & Rocks