Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.62457°N / 115.44554°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 11120 ft / 3389 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Many visitors to the Ruby Mountains seek the summit of Ruby Dome, the highest gem of the range, and leave the arguably more challenging and exciting peaks untouched. Nestled among the impressive peaks in Lamoille Canyon, Mount Gilbert offers a fun, steep snow climb in the winter/spring and 3rd class scrambling in the summer. It rises nearly 4,000 feet above the trailhead, and rewards those who climb it with incredible mountain views from its glacial horn.

Getting There

The trailhead to Mount Gilbert can be accessed from Lamoille Canyon Road. The entrance to the canyon is 45 minutes from Elko and just a 10 minute drive from the quaint town of Lamoille. From Lamoille, head west on Highway 227 for just under a mile, and turn left on Lamoille Canyon Road. Take the turnoff for Lion's Club Campground, and park at the gate. You must walk south through the campground towards the Right Fork of Lamoille Creek; the trailhead is at the end of the campground.

Red Tape

No permits necessary, and no entry or parking fees!

Camping

The Thomas Canyon campground is located a few miles past the trailhead off of Lamoille Canyon Road. It offers all of the standard amenities and services: potable water, fire rings, vault toilets, and even picnic tables (it's practically like staying at the Hilton!). There are also several "dispersed" or primitive campsites in the canyon. Since the area is maintained by the National Forest Service, their rules and regulations apply.

External Links

This is an excellent trip report detailing a summer climb of Mount Gilbert. It provides detailed information on the route and a very helpful topographic map.

After the climb

After a fabulous day of hiking, earn back all those calories you lost at the Pine Lodge in Lamoille, an adorable bar/restaurant/hotel. We may or may not have had the most sinfully delicious, warm, triple chocolate cake topped with two scoops of vanilla ice cream. Just sayin ...

Oh, and wash it down with a very generous glass of wine for about five bucks. Life just doesn't get any better than that!

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ruby MountainsMountains & Rocks