Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.58990°N / 110.45971°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 9314 ft / 2839 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Livingston Peak towers to the south over the town of Livingston, Montana and is the backdrop of the town. It is a straightforward hike/climb and though there are some steep sections, it is a good outing for fairly fit groups of all experience levels. You will need water, good footwear, maybe a light wind/rain jacket, lunch/snacks, and a good attitude.

 

Getting There

Livingston Peak Summit shot looking SouthEast

There are several places to start, you can come in from Suce creek on the Suce/Mission creek trail (Baldy Basin) or from Mission creek behind the 63 ranch (also the trailhead for Elephant head, which is also a good climb) but the most common access is by going up Swingly road. Swingley takes off to the south from Park Street east of town (between the Yellowstone River and the East exit for Livingston off of I-90).

Go south/east two or three miles then turn left where a forest service sign says Livingston Peak. In about a mile or so you turn left again and work your way back up and to the south to the trailhead. Rough road, takes maybe 40 minutes from town. At the trailhead there is a sign, you hike along an old road to a right turn (maybe 3/8 mile) marked with a sign saying simply "Trail" then shortly run into the Suce/Mission creek trail.

There will be a sign that says "Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness Area". Here turn left (East) and hike a few miles to the saddle. From the Saddle you turn straight south, the trail is steeper for the last 1,000' vertical to the summit. The roundtrip is about 7 miles, with about 3,000' vertical. It might take you 3 hours in and two out, but remember about 1/12 hours driving time from Livingston and back and the road is rough. This would be a tough climb is it is wet or icy.

 

Red Tape

Nope.

Camping

No restrictions in the National Forest.

External Links

Add External Links text here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.