Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.69805°N / 106.4516°W
Additional Information County: Chaffee/Gunnison
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13112 ft / 3997 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Southeastern face of Fitzpatrick Peak




 
Summit Plate
Summit Plate

Fitzpatrick Peak rises at the western end of Chalk Creek Valley in the Sawatch Mountains of central Colorado. It sits on the Continental Divide near the 12154 ft Tincup Pass. A four wheel drive road starts in the ghost town of St. Elmo in Chalk Creek Valley and heads 6 miles west to reach Tincup Pass. This road can provide access to the base of Fitzpatrick Peak.

The eastern slopes of Fitzpatrick Peak drop gently to form an alpine basin above tree-line. To climb Fitzpatrick Peak, you could hike or drive Tincup Pass Road to above tree-line and then hike across the basin. Please be ware that the dense growth of bushes that cover much of the basin make it difficult to hike in the basin. An easier but perhaps less scenic route is to go to Tincup Pass. Point 12780 ft sits between Tincup Pass and the northern base of the summit of Fitzpatrick Peak. A beaten path can be used to traverse the slopes of Point 12780 ft (see Route page).

On the summit of Fitzpatrick Peak I saw a metal plate in memory of an environmentalist attorney whose ashes were scattered on this mountain. I have not found any information on the internet about this person. If you know anything, please let me know.






South face of Fitzpatrick Peak, Graphite Lake seen


Pictures

TINCUP PASS ROAD






Tincup Pass Road
Tincup Pass Rd
Tincup Pass Road
Tincup Pass Rd


EASTERN SLOPES












East Face
East Face
Meadow
Bushwhacking
Bushwhcking
Major Bushwhacking
Eastern Slopes
Slopes on East Face
East Face
East face
East Face
Below Summit East face


NORTHERN RIDGELINE







North Ridgeline
North Ridgeline
Traversing Point 12780 ft
Traversing Point 12780 ft
NE face from Tincup Pass Rd
NE Face


VIEWS FROM THE SUMMIT










NE, Tincup Pass
NE, Tincup Pass
West, Fairview Peak
West, Fairview Peak
East, Antero, Princeton
East, Antero/Princeton
South, Mt. Helmers
South, Mt. Helmers


Getting There

Directions to the beginning of Tincup Pass Rd in St. Elmo:

From the town of Buena Vista drive 8 miles south on Route 285 to a place known as Nathrop and then turn west onto Route 162. Drive this road 16 miles to the ghost town of St. Elmo (the first 10 miles are paved and the rest is a well graded dirt road). In St. Elmo, go thru “Main Street”, turn right and cross the bridge to the north side of Chalk Creek. Then make an immediate left and continue to the west end of town.

Red Tape

No fees or permits for day hikes. For other regulations, see the site for San Isabel National Forest.





Map
Map


Weather Forecast

See the forecast for the nearby town of Buena Vista.

External Links

Driving Tincup Pass Road.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawatch RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks