Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.52720°N / 118.2912°W
Additional Information County: Tulare
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 13474 ft / 4107 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Pickering is a California Thirteener about 2.5 miles west of Mt. Langley, across the upper Rock Creek drainage from the Sierra Crest.

“Edward Charles Pickering (1846-1919), physicist and astronomer. He was the founder and president of the American Astronomical Society, and director of the Harvard University observatory for 42 years. He was recognized as the dean of astronomical research in America. The name was suggested by the Sierra Club, and approved by a BGN decision in 1940.”
- Peter Browning, Place Names of the Sierra Nevada

Getting There

The most straightforward approach is via New Army Pass, the standard route on Mt. Langley.

Mt. Pickering is easily climbed along with Joe Devel Peak. Please see that peak’s description for an approach putting you in position for summiting both.

I highly recommend R. J. Secor’s The High Sierra, Peaks Passes & Trails (now in its third edition). This is the definitive climbing guide to the Sierra and was the source for many of the details on my SummitPost pages.

Red Tape

Like most places in the Sierra, you need a Wilderness Permit for overnight camping in the summer. See the Mt. Langley page for details.

Detailed information on permits, regulations and trailhead access can be found on Matthew Holliman’s excellent Eastern Sierra logistics page.

Camping

As for Joe Devel Peak, I recommend camping at High Lake (below New Army Pass) and then at Upper Soldier Lake (south of The Major General). See the Joe Devel Peak page for more details.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sequoia/Kings Canyon NPMountains & Rocks
 
 
 
California ThirteenersMountains & Rocks