Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.40330°N / 116.8615°W
Additional Information County: Lander
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9680 ft / 2950 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Mt. LewisMount Lewis Nevada

The summit of Mount Lewis (NV)Summit area

Overview

With 4290 feet of prominence, Mount Lewis is the 20th most prominent peak in the state of Nevada. Dramatically located just south of I-80, the FAA type dome is obvious when you make the drive near Battle Mountain, a town located between Elko and Winnemucca as you make your way between Salt Lake City and Reno. Almost ten thousand feet high at 9680feet of elevation, Mount Lewis is a commanding viewpoint.

Of course, the way to near the summit is fairly easy since the powers that be took the time and money to build an incredible road to a facility that dominates the mountaintop. The road is so well engineered and graded that you could drive a passenger vehicle up there although good tires is highly recommended. It seemed to be well maintained all the way to the top and there was some road work going on during our visit that was a mile or so from the top.

Yes, this is a drive up but even though it is wide enough and well graded enough, there are places where the drop off is a bit unnerving. Ten miles of mountain road await you when you leave the flats and begin the grind up to the top as you gain well over 4000 feet of elevation. So make sure your brakes and tires are in good shape if you elect to drive this. For the purists, you could most likely find a way to hike up from the flats but I won't offer any route suggestions as I will leave that aspect for those with ambitions to find such a route to the summit.

The actual summit itself is a bit to the east of the FAA facility and has a small communications structure on its flattened off summit. It is made more accessible to most people by the placement of a couple of ladders that make rock climbing to the top unnecessary.

Getting There

From either Salt Lake City or Reno, drive I-80 to exit 233 which is conveniently located near a McDonalds (think food and bathroom break). From Exit 233 in Battle Mountain on I-80, go to the south side of I-80, take the first left on an unsigned road at the south end of the I-80 bridge and zero your odometer. The road makes about a 45 degree turn towards the south in about a mile and then heads very stright south. At 4.2 miles the pavement ends. The last civilization you see is a ranch on the right about 9+ miles. At 9.5 go straight, and watch for the key turnoff near 14.5 miles. Go left at an unsigned intersection towards the mountain. At about 16.5 miles the road angles up to the right and avoids going into the entrance to Horse Canyon We noticed a big Weed Control sign on the right shortly after the road makes its turn. This is a popular drive on the weekends on a mostly wide well graded road all the way to the summit so be prepared to meet traffic coming downhill. The summit facility is close to 26 and a half miles from Battle Mountain and instead of driving up to the mountain top facility with the buildings and communcation structures, watch for a turn off to the right prior to reaching the top. See the picture I have posted that will show where I parked my truck and you'll get an idea of where that road is located.
Looking over to the communications complexLooking at the communication area

Red Tape

None that I am aware of. There is a BLM office in Battle Mountain and they might be a good resource regarding the condition of the road.
On the summitTele shot of my summit visit

Camping

You could probably car camp not far from the summit area but I don't know why you'd need to do so. Battle Mountain has a couple of motels and there is a campground located 24 miles south of Battle Mountain:

A free campground can be found at the Mill Creek Recreation Area. The turnoffto the campground is located 20 miles south of Battle Mountain, Nevada on State Route (SR) 305 and is signed. From the turn-off you will travel four miles on a maintained gravel road to the recreation site entrance.

Mill Creek Recreation Area

Battle Mountain, NV
Phone: 775-635-4000
Visit Mill Creek Recreation Area Web site
The Mill Creek Recreation Area, located just 24 miles south of Battle Mountain, is far more than just a popular camping ground. In the 1930s, the historic Mill Creek was the site of a Civilian Conservation Corps work camp and stone pillar remnants are still visible today at the entrance to the campground.

More info:
At an elevation of 5,200 feet, the Mill Creek campground is shaded by tall cottonwood trees and offers 11 designated tent sites, fire rings, picnic tables and nearby restrooms. It is recommended that campers bring their own firewood. There are also three recreational vehicle sites available at Mill Creek Recreation Area, but the campground does not offer electric hook-ups, potable water or dump stations. The canyon setting of Mill Creek makes it a favorite spot of many for a variety of relaxed outdoor pursuits. In addition to camping, visitors to the recreation area can picnic, hike, watch for wildlife and fish for both brook and rainbow trout. Birdwatching in particular is a favored pastime at Mill Creek Recreation Area, as the region is home to a range of birds that include great horned owls, various hawk species, belted kingfishers, woodpeckers, wrens, swallows, sparrows, hummingbirds and more.

The no-fee site is open year round.
Getting There:
24 mi. S of Battle Mountain via State Rt. 305

Weather for Battle Mountain

Battle Mountain Nevada

Battle Mountain Wikipedia

Nearby prominence peaks

Near Battle Mountain

North Peak
Cone BM
6 Mile Hill
Moses Mountain
For Moses, we used the following route posted by Dennis Poulin at peakbagger.com


Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Sep 23, 2011 10:28 am - Voted 10/10

Coordinates

Dean, looking at the interactive map, it looks like your coordinates are just a trifle off. It's placing the summit down in the adjacent canyon.

Dean

Dean - Sep 23, 2011 3:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Coordinates

Good eye. I had a 3 where a 0 should have been. That's the problem with doing this stuff in the early morning, one needs to be awake. Thank you.

famartin1 - Oct 24, 2014 3:11 am - Hasn't voted

more pavement going this way

Drove up on 10/10/2014 in my little Prius. Decided to avoid as much un-paved road as possible so I took Exit 231 on I-80, proceeded south on SR 305 about 18.5 miles, and turned left (east) onto a poorly signed but relatively decent dirt/gravel road. Followed that 2.4 miles to the end and turned left (north) onto a similar road. Followed that 3.2 miles to the main turn-off for Mount Lewis. Found that the road going up the mountain was better than the roads in the valley, no doubt due to FAA-funded road maintenance. My Prius had no problem getting up and back, and I think I must've shocked a couple of guys on four-wheelers who were heading up at the same time.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3