Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.69561°N / 13.91556°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6263 ft / 1909 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Gerlitzen and OssiacherseeGerlitzen from Dobratsch

Map of Gerlitzen areamap


As the Alps, even the eastern, Gerlitzen is a low mountain. Very well known by skiers, because of the many ski slopes. In the summer it is frequented by the paragliders. There is also a lot of routes for Nordic Walking, Horse Riding and more. Her appearance is not impressive, a typical mountain in Nockberge - rounded tops, without rock walls. Mostly forested, only summit part is grassy, and from here begins distant views. Nevertheless, it is worth visiting because of the panorama - great view to whole north side of Julian Alps. We can see also Karawanken, Carnic Alps, Nockberge, Kamnik Alps, Gailtal Alps and Hohe Tauern - Hochalmspitze Area.
The easiest and most sensible way to reach the top is to use cable car. Valley station is located in Annenheim at Ossiachersee. From the villages, situated at the foot, there`s many paths to summit, but they`re long, without wide views. For example path from Sattendorf is more than 4 hours to summit. The most important villages are - Annenheim, Sattendorf, Bodensdorf and Steindoerf - at the south side, Treffen - at west, Arriach - north. We can go from every village situated at the foot. Another possibility is a toll alpine road - Gerlitzen Alpenstrasse - starting in Bodensdorf.
At the top there are many attractions for children like mountain kart track, bungee trampoline or playgrounds.

Getting There

Very easy to get here. Only a few kilometers from motorway junction - near Villach - exit Villach Ossiacher See - A4 - motorway from Italy to Vien and A10 - Tauern Motorway from Germany. Villach is also a railway junction from Slovenia, Italy, Vien.

Red Tape

No limitations.

Camping

At slopes of Gerlitzen there`s many mountain hotels, chalets and mountain huts.
At the Ossiacher See there are many campgrounds: in Annenheim, Heiligengestade, Bodensdorf.

Finsterbach Waserfalle

At the southern slopes of Gerlitzen are waterfalls: Fisterbach. There`s 3 waterfalls: Finsterbachfall, Kesselfall and Schleierfall - 31 m, 21 m and 23 m. Marked path leading from Sattendorf - about 45 minutes of nice walk - good alternative for a rainy day.

SchleierfallFinsterbachfall
KesselfallKesselfall
FinsterbachfallSchleierfall

Summit panoramas

Gerlitzen panorama - KarawankenKarawanken

Gerlitzen Panorama toward SESaulalpe, Kamnik

Gerlitzen panorama - Julian Alps!Julian Alps

Gerlitzen - towards SWCarnic Alps, Gailtal Alps, Hohe Tauern

Nockberge from GerlitzenNockberge


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Gurktal Alps / NockbergeMountains & Rocks