Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.56344°N / 112.67741°W
Additional Information County: Lewis and Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8179 ft / 2493 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sawtooth Ridge is a prominent serrated peak located on the south side of the entrance to Sun Canyon in Montana's Rocky Mountain Front. The four "teeth" which form the summit ridge make Sawtooth one of the most recognizable peaks on the entire Front. Its extreme vertical rise from the prairie, some 3,000 feet, is typical of the eastern wall of peaks that form the Front, and its imposing summit teeth lend Sawtooth Ridge an even more formidable appearance. Despite the sheer drop, however, the peak is accessible from the more gently sloping west face, and several routes are possible to its summits.

Sawtooth Ridge SummitsThe summit of Sawtooth Ridge.

Getting There

From the town of Augusta take the Sun River Canyon road west for about 18 miles toward the Front. Cross the Lewis and Clark National Forest boundary and into Sun Canyon, passing the lower spillway dam on your right. Turn left at the Home Gulch sign to enter the Sun Canyon Resort. Pass through the lodgepole gate and park in the grassy meadow on the left before you reach the main group of resort buildings. Hikes approaching Sawtooth Ridge from here will follow Trail 267, accessed by crossing the small creek running along the east edge of the meadow.

Routes to the Summits

There are several ways to reach Sawtooth Ridge's summit ridgeline, depending on your final goal. The peak's true summit is the third southmost of the four main teeth, but involves more scrambling than the others.

The North Summit is a fairly straightforward scramble up a timbered ridge to a scree approach to the summit ridgeline cliffs.

It's also possible to reach the north end of Sawtooth Ridge by leaving Trail 267 prior to reaching Agropyron Flats. This may prove a more direct route to the north summit block.

Sawtooth RidgeSawtooth Ridge from the northeast.

Red Tape

Sawtooth Ridge lies partially within the Sun River Wildlife Management Area, which is closed from December 1 to May 15.

Camping

Sun Canyon Lodge offers camping spaces and cabin rentals. Public camping can be found at the nearby Home Gulch campground or Mortimer Gulch campground.

External Links

Sun Canyon Wildlife Management Area Information

More Sun Canyon WMA Info

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.