Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.93192°N / 121.84885°W
Additional Information County: Pierce
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6492 ft / 1979 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Named for Fay Fuller, the first woman to ascend Mount Rainier, the peak is located only 0.5 mi SE of Mowich Lake. The summit provides grand views of Mount Rainier and its northern and western glaciers. First ascent by J. Warner Fobes, George James, and R. O. Wells on August 15, 1884.

Fay Peak is one of the Irish Cabin Peaks. The Irish Cabin Peaks are a group of 24 summits in the North and Northwest areas of Mount Rainier National Park. The group gets their name from the Irish Cabin, which was a Mountaineer's Lodge that was located on Mowich Lake Road just inside the boundaries of the park. It was torn down in 1978, but it's site is still used as a meeting point for the Tacoma Mountaineers. The cabin was a base for hikes and climbs in the north and west foothills of Mount Ranier.


Getting There

From Tacoma/Seattle, get to HWY 410 and take it East until you get to the WA-165/Orting exit. Follow WA-165 all the way thru Orting, Wilkeson and Carbonado. Cross the one lane Carbon River Bridge and veer right towards Mowich Lake at the fork in the road for either the Carbon River or Mowich Lake entrances to the park. Follow the gravel road for approximately 15-17 miles until you reach the parking area at Mowich Lake.

From the ranger cabin at Mowich Lake, take the unmarked trail toward Knapsack Pass. Ascend it 0.5 mi (to a small creek), then take a climber's path S and SE up and across slopes and meadows; eventually turn NE and gain the ridgetop. At the summit block, ascend directly or follow the path W to the N side for easy completion. Time: 1.5 hours from the lake.

There are awesome views of Mount Rainier, amid a parkland with wildflowers. An alternate route is to leave the path at about 5,400 ft, bear S, then ascend the easy W ridge.

Approach and Climb

From the ranger cabin at Mowich Lake, take the unmarked trail toward Knapsack Pass. Ascend it 0.5 mi (to a small creek), then take a climber's path S and SE up and across slopes and meadows; eventually turn NE and gain the ridgetop. At the summit block, ascend directly or follow the path W to the N side for easy completion. Time: 1.5 hours from the lake.

There are awesome views of Mount Rainier, amid a parkland with wildflowers. An alternate route is to leave the path at about 5,400 ft, bear S, then ascend the easy W ridge.

Fay Peak

Red Tape

You will need to pay the applicable fees to enter Mount Rainier National Park. $5 for walk-ins or bicyclists, $15 per car, or $30 for an annual pass. There is no ranger at the Mowich Lake entrance, so bring cash or write down your credit card information on the fee envelopes, remove your permit stub, and place the fees in the "iron ranger".

Camping

There is walk-in camping from the Mowich Lake parking lot. I believe permits are required most if not all of the time.

External Links

www.peakbagger.com

www.wta.org

REI Guidepost

Irish Cabin Peaks

Sources

Beckey, Fred w. 1921-
Cascade alpine guide : climbing and high routes / Fred Beckey.-3rd ed.
p. cm.
ISBN 0-89886-557-8

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.