Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.36800°N / 105.6053°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12429 ft / 3788 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pushing toward the summit plateauPushing toward the summit plateau of "Peak X"


With over 1,700 feet of topographic prominence, “Peak X” holds quite a commanding presence. The highest of the Kenosha Mountain summits, “Peak X” (sometimes identified as “Knobby Crest”) closely resembles its neighbors – mostly green, gently sloping and capped with eroded granite. Like its neighbors, “Peak X” is unlikely to take center stage on a tourists postcard as it doesn’t scream “Colorado” the way peaks in, say, the San Juans or Sangre de Cristos will. But to those in the know, the Kenosha Mountains, anchored by “Peak X,” deep within the Lost Creek Wilderness, are a tranquil refuge from an ever more crowded high country.

From the summit of “Peak X,” in addition to fellow Kenosha Mountains summits, the visitor can take in views of the nearby Tarryall Mountains and Platte River Mountains, plus the more far-off Mosquito Range and Front Range peaks and even the Sawatch Range in the distance.

Rank: 1,054th highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 1,759 feet
USGS Quad: Topaz Mountain
Planning Map: Trails Illustrated #105 Tarryall Mountains/Kenosha Pass Trail

Rank & Prominence Source: Lists of John

Getting There

Bounded by US Hwy 285 to the north and Park County 77 to the south, “Peak X” is an accessible peak.
Looking down on  X-Prime Looking down on "X-Prime"
Yet more  Peak X  summit viewsYet more "Peak X" summit views


NORTHERN ACCESS

North Ben Tyler Trailhead: Follow Hwy 285 6.8 miles west of Bailey. Trailhead will be on the left (south) side of the highway and parking is limited.

Payne Creek Brookside Trailhead: From Hwy 285 in Bailey, cross the South Platte River on CR 64. Stay left at a fork in the road after about ½ mile, and drive about 2.2 miles to the rrailhead on the south side of the road.

Bierstadt and Evans from  Peak X Mount Bierstadt and Mount Evans from "Peak X"


SOUTHERN ACCESS

Long Gulch Trailhead: The trailhead closest to the peak is the Long Gulch Trailhead, reached via the graded dirt Long Gulch Road (CR 39 / FSR 39). From Hwy 285 at the town of Jefferson, turn right onto CR 56 and travel about 10 miles. The trailhead is at the end of a short spur road on your left (north side of the road).

North Fork Trailhead: From Hwy 285 at the town of Jefferson, turn right onto CR 56 and travel about 17 miles. Turn left onto FR 134 (high clearance required).

South Ben Tyler Trailhead: From US 285, go 7.3 miles on the Lost Park Road (County Road 56) to Forest Road 133. Go left (north) 1 mile to Rock Creek Trailhead. You can also continue 1 mile further to a second, smaller trailhead on the Ben Tyler trail. Road is narrow and rough, and parking is very limited.

Mount Silverheels and NeighborsMount Silverheels and Neighbors

Red Tape

Views north-northwest from the summitViews north-northwest from the summit
Views northwest from the summitViews northwest from the summit


There exists little or no red tape in this part of the National Forest, but note that “Peak X” is protected within the wonderful Lost Creek Wilderness. Please follow LNT (Leave No Trace) principals.

Camping

 Peak X  summit boulders"Peak X" summit boulders
Southeast toward  Peak Y Southeast toward "Peak Y"


Lost Park (FR 56) and Rock Creek Hills (FR 39) about in undeveloped Forest Service camping. These sites are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Many are dry (you need to haul your own water) and the sites are in high demand during the summer high season.

Weather & Seasons

Summit Register,  Peak X Summit Register, "Peak X"

“Peak X” is an excellent year round mountain, but check conditions in snow season regarding whether or not access roads are passable. Access to this peak via dirt Forest Service roads will be hampered by heavy snows, lengthening your approach to this summit. The access roads in this area melt out earlier and get snowed-in later than many higher-altitude, heavier-snowpack climbing areas in Colorado.
That being said, if you want solitude for the entirety of your hike, visit this peak in snow season. Summer brings heavy, heavy crowds to the Lost Park area in particular. Campsites are at a premium in the warmer months, traffic is thick, motorized recreation is heavy and other visitors swarm the dirt roads.
Click for Jefferson, Colorado Forecast

External Links and Additional Information

Looking south from  Peak X  slopesLooking south from "Peak X" slopes
Ascending southeast slopes of  Peak X Ascending southeast slopes of "Peak X"


Pike & San Isabel National Forests
Pike National Forest Recreation Map


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.