Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.81424°N / 119.18421°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12850 ft / 3917 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Image

Parker Peak from Parker Pass

Overview

Parker Peak sits between Mount Wood and Koip Peak along the border of Yosemite National Park and the Ansel Adams Wilderness. The peak is an easy half mile scramble from Koip Peak Pass. Similar to the other peaks in the area, Parker is a scree pile of metamorphic slate.






Entemology

Parker Peak (and Pass/Creek/etc) were named for an early settler of Mono County and the name dates back to at least the 1880s. (Peter Browning, Yosemite Place Names)



Getting There

Last Switchback before Koip Pass

1) Mono Pass Trailhead (Class 1-2)

From the Tioga Road entrance of Yosemite National Park, travel 1.5 miles south to the Mono Pass trailhead at Dana Meadows. (There are bear boxes and pit toilets at the trailhead). Follow this trail SE veering left at the junction for Spillway lake. At 3.5 miles turn right onto the Parker Pass trail. Continue S/SE a the trail crests the treeline and leaves Yosemite at Parker Pass. Past the pass the trail descends for 1mi (losing 250') passing numerous unnamed lakes in the upper portion of the Parker Creek watershed. After bottoming out, the trail begins a 2000ft switchbacking ascent up the Parker's north flank. Leave the trail at any point on the final switchback and head offtrail 1/2 mile up the scree to the peak.

2) Silver Lakes

Take the Silver Lake trail south past Anew and Gem Lake, then head north over Gem Pass and the Alger Lakes to Koip Peak Pass at 11mi. From the pass head offtrail 1/2 mile up the scree to the peak.

3) Traverse from Mt Wood

Parker is an easy (mostly flattish) 1 mile class 2 traverse from Mt Wood.

Camping

Yosemite prohibits camping on the Yosemite side of Mono and Parker Passes. You must cross over into the Ansel Adams Wilderness before camping.

Weather

Mammoth Lakes Weather (5,000ft lower elevation)

External Lings

USGS Parker Peak

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
BobD3

BobD3 - Sep 24, 2013 9:54 am - Hasn't voted

faulty link

Under "parents", the Mt. Lewis link leads to the peak with the same name in the San Gabriel mtns. instead of the correct one in this area.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1