Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.40176°N / 122.63982°W
Additional Information County: Island
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 484 ft / 148 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

IMG_0020
IMG_0020

Why would anyone write about a summit that is under 500 feet? TO be surprised after going there I am shocked no one did. Because this particular summit is quiet special to the park it is located. Goose Rock is a signature summit in the Deception Pass State Park. Though the summit is not even the tallest elevation (that destinction belongs to Bowman Hill) in the park the peak itself is quite an important attraction to the most visited state park in Washington. Many tourist actually make this summit there key destination in the park.

Whidbey Island

There is a good reason why Goose Rock is a special little summit. Goose Rock is home to great views of Whidbey Island, the Straight of Juan de Fuca, the summits from nearby Fidalgo Island ( through some trees) and the distant summits of both the Olympic Mountains and the Cascade Mountains. More over the very open summit of Goose Rock gives more of a mountain feel than some peaks 10 times it's size. In many way this smaller summit reminds me of some of the smaller summits by Bar Harbor, Maine in that it is low in elevation but pretty open in views.

BearQueen pose

Getting to the summit of Goose Rock is very easy from the trailhead. Provided a person is even moderately healthy they should be able to make the summit Goose Rock rather easily. Go underneath the Deception Pass Bridge and then continue east until hit a cutoff trail on the right side from there. Take that about 0.4 miles to the summit area where you will pickup an obvious cutoff trail to a set of open ledges which contain excellent views of Deception Pass. Total Roundtrip Distance 1 mile and 250 of elevation gain.

Deception Island

 

Getting There

Take Route 20 west 18 miles (passing SR 20 to Anacortes at 12 miles). Once over the Deception Pass Bridge turn off in the parking area on the right hand side. Walk over to stairs near the bridge. Walk down the stairs and the trail will be on your right.

Red Tape

Discovery Pass is required for this hike ($10 for the day and $30 for the year)

Camping

Camping is prohibited on Goose Rock. It is a very quick hike so there would be no reason to camp here anyway. There are state campgrounds nearby. Lower Loop Campground, Forest Loop Campground and Quarry Pond campgrounds are all close by to Goose Rock. For more information click here

External Links

Information about Deception Pass State Park Washington Trails Association Page for Goose Rock



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.