Flagstone and Pedestal Peaks

Flagstone and Pedestal Peaks

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.21519°N / 109.67566°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 13450 ft / 4100 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Flagstone Peak is another of Wyoming's 35 13ers and has 830 feet of prominence. This peak is coupled with the soft-ranked Pedastal Peak with an elevation of 13,060. Pedastal is also a 13er but only has 280 feet of prominence of which Flagstone is its parent peak. Both are very worthy of a climb and the traverse between them being a pretty simple class 3 scramble. These peaks are located very close to Klondike Peak and are best done as a trio. The approach for these two peaks is also exactly the same as the approach for Klondike. Start this climb at the Green River Lakes trailhead and campground. From Pinedale, Wyoming head west out of town on US 191 for 6 miles and turn right (north) onto Wyoming road 352W. The pavement ends soon after the small town of Cora. Continue for 25 miles from US 191 and continue 18 more miles on the Green River Lakes Road until the road ends at the Green River Lakes campground. This road is passable for any vehicle although it gets very wash-boarded.

Flagstone PeakFlagstone Peak from the Tourist Creek drainage

Getting There

Follow the Green River trail south for upwards of 14 miles to Three Forks Park which is a large grassy meadow about a mile long. Pick up a small boot path through the grasslands and marshes and cross the gentle Green River (will require wading through waist deep water). Continue climbing up the grueling Tourist Creek drainage. With route-finding, this drainage never exceeds class 2 hiking. Stay on the right side of Tourist Creek as long as you can until you get to the first tarn (good camping). There are many places where hopping over large boulders is necessary and a misstep can result in serious injury especially with a large pack on your back.

Tourist CreekLooking up at Tourist Creek from Three Forks Park

 

Tourist CreekViews from Tourist Creek

 

Tourist CreekViews from Tourist Creek



Continue up the creek as it slowly mellows and pass by 3 or 4 small tarns. Crossing Tourist Creek a few times enroute. Pass by a side stream coming down from the right and crest a small rib between the creek and an unnamed lake. Once you get to the base of the headwall, which is a steep talus slope, ascend it stating towards the right side where the slope isn't as steep then cutting back left. This slope is very loose so caution should be taken. You will eventually get to a low spot on the continental divide at a saddle between Klondike and Pedastal Peaks. Keep in mind that it can take days just to get here for anyone not in perfect shape.

From the saddle start climbing to the right (south) up the slopes along the continental divide up to the summit of 13,340 Pedestal Peak. These slopes are fairly gentle and require no more than class 2 hiking. As you near the summit you may pass by a glacier research pole that says not to touch it. I was amazed to see this which meant people had been there. The summit area of Pedestal actually has many small flat-topped rock towers that look like pedestals. The true summit was at the top of one of these pedestals which required a class 2+ move.

Pedastal Peak summitThis pedestal is the highest point on Pedestal Peak

 

Flagstone PeakFlagstone Peak from Pedestal Peak

 

The views atop Pedestal Peak are spectacular. To the south Flagstone Peak seems to attack you while to the north an endless sea of gentle continental divide peaks demands attention. From Pedestal, begin descending towards the 13,060 saddle between Pedestal and Flagstone. This descent requires a couple easy class 3 moves but nothing remotely very hard. Once at the saddle climb to the summit of Flagstone and enjoy one of the most remote summits in the Wind River Range! Re-climb Pedestal and descend your ascent route of Pedestal. There is no red tape whatsoever in this wild and unspoiled wilderness however it's good to practice leave no trace techniques. Camp only on durable surfaces and avoid making fires above treeline.

External Links

See Joe Kelsey's book "Climbing the Wind River Mountains" for more information about peaks in the Winds.

Great Outdoor Shop

Weather Forecast

For more detailed information you can view this Trip Report




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wind River RangeMountains & Rocks
 
 
Wyoming 13ersMountains & Rocks