Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.02831°N / 121.47827°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6156 ft / 1876 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rainier from Mutton Mountain


Mutton Mountain, located just in the Central Cascades northwest of Mount Rainier is home to excellent views of Mount Rainier and many other mountains in the region. A short 200 yards bushwhack from the Noble Knob Trail, Mutton Mountain is an exceelnt reward or anyone who is true a viewbagger. The views from the summit of Mutton Mountain seriously rival it's close more popular destination Noble Knob. In my opinion these views are actually better because Mutton Mountain is higher.

CLiff on the way up to Mutton Mountain


Mutton Mountain is not quiet the popular destination nearby Noble Knob is. That being said Mutton Mountain is usually combined with Noble Knob on many hikes due to the Noble Knob Trail traveling so close to the summit block of Mutton Mountain. In fact Mutton Mountain is located only 1.25 miles from the Corral Pass Trailhead and the elevation gain to this summit is not even 400 feet. The difficulty to get to this summit is best to be described as a steep off trail bushwhack with an occasional spotting of a bootpath. The bootpath can be seen on the northwest side of the mountain. The off trail is not difficult. I was able to get to hiking newcomers up to the summit of Mutton Mountain very easily!

Mutton Summit views




Map of the Route

Map of the Route Up Noble Knob and Mutton Mountain

Getting There

FROM CORRAL PASS: Take Highway 410 30 1/2 miles. On your left hand side Road #7174 will come up. Turn on Road #7174 and take it 6 3/4 miles up a very roughly and steep road to the trailhead (Closed in winter)(Hig clearance vehicles recommended.

FROM TWENTY-EIGHT MILE ROAD: Take Highway 410 20 1/3 miles to Greenwater Road near the town of Greenwater (Road #70). Take this road 4.5 miles to Road #72. Stay on ROad 72 about to 4.0 miles to the left trailhead with some shoulder park.

Red Tape

Northwest Forest Pass is required for this hike.

Camping

Camping is allowed at Mutton Mountain and the summit on a clear night would not be a bad place to camp. That being said campfires must only be used in established rings and burn bans which often take effect over the summer are enforced. In fall this a high traffic hunting area so be aware of that during the travels.

External Links

Here is a good late spring TR on NOble Knob and Mutton Mountain.

Here is a winter TR heading up to Mutton Mountain

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.