Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.71243°N / 1.43033°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4465 ft / 1361 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

IzagaFrom Ardanaz

Izaga or Itzaga (1,361m) is the most important peak around Pamplona, capital of Navarra. The route is short and beautiful and it's a very good option to walk in the mountain if you don't has a lot of time in the visit to Pamplona.

For the peak-baggers Izaga is in the list of Top 100 Prominent Peaks of Peninsula Iberica but it's a nice peak even if it was out of it.

IzagaSanta Ágata, Ganbella and Izaga


Routes:
I climbed a few of times from different trail heads but I think that for SP it's necessary to show only the normal route from Ardanaz de Izagaondoa because another possibilities are only for local people as the routes from Zuazu, Reta, Urbikain or Idozin.

The small range:
The mountain really has three summits: Izaga (1,361m), Ganbella (1,256m) and Santa Ágata (1,195m) but the two small peaks don't have interest for foreigners. If you want to climb it it's not very difficult descending from the main summit in 1h.



IZAGA -  1361mFrom Idoate (B.& W.)
IzagaAt dawn
Izaga and ElomendiIzaga and Elomendi
IzagaFrom Tabar
Hermitage of San Miguel de IzagaHermitage of S.Miguel
Summit of IzagaSummit
IzagaFrom Idoate (color)
Izaga and GanbellaFrom Santa Ágata
IzagaFrom N.E.

Getting There


See bigger map

Red Tape

You can climb the peak all the year, even in winter after a snowfall. You need only a pair of boots.

From 6th to 14th of July it's almost impossible to sleep in Pamplona because are the popular Sanfermines, one of the most important "Fiestas" of the World (we live normally in Pamplona around 200,000 people but in Sanfermines we're probably more than 500,000 people).

Note: if you have a GPS in your car you must be careful with the selection of the village Ardanaz (or Ardanatz) because near of Pamplona you has another Ardanaz in the valley of Egüés and not in the valley of Izagaondoa.

Camping

I think the best option is to sleep in Pamplona because it's an important city with some monuments of interest and probably you don't go to Izaga if you're sleeping near Pyrenees and not in Pamplona. It's easy to find a lot of hotels in Pamplona in internet.

If you want to spend the night in a camping the most popular for foreigners is Camping Ezkaba because it's very near of the main city (30 minutes walking or 10 minutes by bicycle).

External Links

Turismo Navarra
Fiestas de San Fermín
Mendikat.net: Itzaga

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
visentin

visentin - Nov 7, 2011 2:42 am - Voted 10/10

Nice, but

apart from prominence where does this peak belong to apart from the prominence list ? Pyrenees, Cantabrics, Central system ?

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Nov 7, 2011 10:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice, but

It's a very good question. The answer is "Prepirineo Navarro". Some books about Pyrenees includes the peak but it's the same question that we told about Prepirienos Aragoneses. If I write someday a page about the area Prepirineos Navarros I'll add to Pirineos as child but I never will write it probably. I think if someday I write a page it will be the page of my province Navarra (Navarre) but I think it's not interesting for SP (I love the mountains and peaks of my province and I climbed more than 1000 peaks into it but if the people come from another country to my province they must go to Pyrenees of Navarre and not to PrePyrenees as first option). I think that's interesting an area about the range Urbasa-Andia, where's the peak Beriain and the most beutiful place of my province (Nacedero de Urederra, I have an album about it in SP and it's "related" to Berian). With Urbasa we'll have the three most important natural parks of Navarra (interesting for SP): Aralar, Bardenas and Urbasa-Andia, obviously with Pyrenees (areas of Baztan-Bidasoa, Orreaga-Irati and Belagua-Hecho (Belagua is Navarra but Hecho is Huesca).

visentin

visentin - Nov 8, 2011 2:56 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice, but

After eventually watching the Google map (made by me, but trying to follow the areas as you described them) I also realized that would be Prepirineo Navarro too. I encourage you to write a page about your home region ! You are the man from that and the best who can advertise its hidden secrets :) I know that for people from the region, all these ranges are distinct and grouping them into the "Pyrenees" in the broad sense of the word is a kind of mistake, but my personal opinion is that they should perhaps be attached to the main range on SP, just to increase their visibility. Similarly I would attach the Bardenas, Montserrat and everything mountainous North from Rio Ebro, for the only reason that for many people abroad they are a part of the Pyrenees and they will use it as a starting point to find infos about these "regions". I also think that the separation between what's in Cantabrics and Pyrenees could be a bit improved, currently there are peaks from the Cantabrics located more east than peaks from the Basque Pyrenees. From the "areas" point of view the Basque mountains could be kept as being related both to the Pyrenees and the Cantabrics as it is shared by both. Well, Cantabrics is under translation and it's not finished... We could perhaps sort it out when it's done, what do you think ?

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Nov 8, 2011 9:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice, but

yes, you have right, to attach to Pyrenees is probably the best option. Cordillera cantábrica (Cantabrics) is more precise in its limits than Pyrenees and it finishes at South of Basque Country. Some peaks of this area can be in basque mountains and C.Cantábrica because Basque Country is a political delimitation and not a range. Even some peaks of Aralar can be in Basque Country, Aralar and C.Cantábrica but it's more complex for the people (and the presence of Aralar in C.Cantábrica is in discusion) you can see a small map here. The main problem is that I have a lot of importants mountains still to write for SP and a page about an area less interesting is not my desire. My target for the moment is to write a page about Urbasa-Andia and the peaks of the Top 100 Iberian P. that I climbed. After that some big peaks of Pyrenees,... and after that... I don't know. Little by little because my English is poor and it's a big effort for me.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.