Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.77528°N / 44.91861°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11847 ft / 3611 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cheekha Dar lies on the Iraq - Iran border in the Zagros mountain range of Kurdistan. It is the highest mountain in Iraq, but there are higher mountains in the range. The CIA and Russian topographical mapping claims it is 3,611m. It was climbed in November 2004 by English explorer Ginge Fullen, and the first reported winter ascent was by Jonathan Beswick and Matthew DuPuy on March 18th, 2011. Last two successful attempts belongs to explorer Peter Gregor and mountaineer Martin Juris from Slovakia in 2018 and in 2021 followed them traveler Miroslav Danko from Czech Republic. Cheekha Dar is Kurdish for "Black Tent".

Getting There

The mountain base is accessed from Erbil, a major town in Kurdistan, you can fly to Erbil from various places, or drive overland from Turkey. From Erbil travel North East on Route 3 to a village called Gundah Zhur. From Gundah Zhur it is a days walk up to an old Kurdish Kut on the mountain. This route goes through a minefield and so it is essential to get Kurdish Army guides. This hut can be used as a Basecamp for a summit attempt, which can be done in a day but is better broken down to two.

Red Tape

This is an area that see's no visitors, so be aware, because you are moving in very sensitive area very close to border with Iran (even on the top lateau is military base of Iranian forces, they usually leaving the place when the winter comes). It is very dangerous to climb the mountain without any guide - presence of Kurdish fighters and smugglers.

Camping

You can ask for shelter in local Kurdish villages, stay at the Kurdish hut or camp anywhere on the mountain.

External Links

Ascent Cheekha Dar

Expedition to Cheekha Dar

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Baarb

Baarb - Dec 16, 2011 9:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Coordinates

The stated position appears to be some way south-east of where the mountain actually is.

secretcompass

secretcompass - Dec 17, 2011 8:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Co-ords

Sorry, had'nt converted to decimal, now done and correct

panZ

panZ - Nov 21, 2014 7:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Link to my photoblog

Hey! I got a mention on SummitPost. Neat! Your link to my photoblog from this trip is broken. The page with my Cheekha Dar photos is here: http://internetonastick.net/gallery3/index.php/middleeast2011?page=3 I'm happy to provide beta on the area if anyone needs it. Glad to see Secret Compass offering their beta too!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Zagros RangeMountains & Rocks