Ollalie Mountain (Radio Mountain)

Ollalie Mountain (Radio Mountain)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.38377°N / 121.44111°W
Additional Information County: King, Kittitas
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4440 ft / 1353 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ollalie Mountain (Radio Mountain)Ollalie Mountain from Ski Acres Hill


The unofficially named Ollalie Mountain, also name Radio Mountain on some maps is mountain who's true summit is seldom visited during the wintertime. Unlike neighboring and close by mountain such as Granite Mountain and Silver Peak, Ollalie Mountain's summit is tree covered and the views here are partial and to the east. In comparison to it's neighbors, the summit views are not that spectacular. But if you ever want to find out how good Ollalie Mountain's views could be if the mountain wasn't tree covered you can just stop at the radio station just north of the true summit. The radio station is home to an excellent view down the ridge towards Mount Kent, McClellan Butte and Granite Mountain. This radio tower view is why on some maps this summit is referred to as Radio Mountain.

Granite and Webb from the Radio Clearcut on OllalieViews from the area around the radio tower on Ollalie Mountain.


Best view from the true summit areaBest of the true summit views looking east


There are two principle ways to get up to the summit of Ollalie Mountain. The first way is by way of the Lake Annette Trail. This is a good way to avoid the Snoqualmie Nordic Ski Area to the east and capture the summit of Ollalie Mountain. Just take a number of side trails to the John Wayne Trail and stay on the John Wayne Trail before picking up a number of older logging road to lead to the pass between Ski Acres Hill and Ollalie Mountain. From there try to avoid the nordic and carve your way to the eastern side of Ollalie Mountain. You will pick up a fire road that will take you all the way up to the radio tower. From there turn left and snowshoe all the way to the true summit of Ollalie Mountain.

Staring down the I-90 valleyI-90 Valley views from around the radio tower on Ollalie Mountain.


The other way can be technically even easier though it will set you back in your wallet $18 as of 2011-2012. You can avoid paying the fee by staying off the groomed nordic ski runs but your trip up to Ollalie will be considerably be harder. From the Hyak parking lot either take the Blue Diamond Snowshoe Trail or the Powerline up the ridge. If avoiding having to pay the fee stay off the groomed trails. If you have stay on the groomed run all of the way to Rockdale Lake near the pass between Ollalie Mountain and Ski Acres Hill. From there either stayed just off the groomed run or take the groomed run to the service which leads to the tower. From there follow the same directions as you would from the Lake Annette side.

Getting There

VIA THE LAKE ANNETTE TRAILHEAD: Driving Directions: From I-90 get off on exit 47 (Denny Creek). Head south from the ramp and continue a quarter mile. Turn left on Forest Road 5590 at the T intersection. The parking area is just another quarter mile.

VIA THE HYAK SKI AREA: From I-90 take exit 54. Head south on the road toward the the Hyak Ski Area. Parking in the parking area closest to freeway and start heading up a residential road to the Blue Diamond Trail

Red Tape

Northwest Forest Pass required for Lake Annette Trailhead. No fee at Hyak Trailhead, HOWEVER if you go on any groomed runs by the Nordic Ski Area it will cost $18 per person. If this is the route you choose you must stay to the side of the groomed and always allowed the X-skiers the majority of the tracts.

Camping

Note: There is no camping allowed in the Nordic Ski Area section.

External Links

Here is a good trip report on Ollalie Mountain

For those who plan on summiting this peak by using the groomed trails
Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center