Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.39916°N / 121.43379°W
Additional Information County: King, Kittitas
Activities Activities: Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4200 ft / 1280 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

I-90 ValleyBest view from Ski Acres Hill. This views is from the southern ridge between the powerlines.



Ski Acres Hill which part of the peak is home to the Snoqualmie Ski Area is yet another interesting off trail summit close to the I-90 corridor. Despite being part of a ski area the true summit is rarely visited by hikers and snowshoers. The true summit has no breathtaking views. Therefore this summit is not recommended for summertime travel.However one does not need to go too far for good views. On the north side of the summit ridge lies a good view of Snoqualmie and Guye Peak while on the south side by the power lines lies excellent views of peaks such as Humpback, Kaleetan, Low Mountain, Granite Mountain and Bandera. There are also decent views of Ollalie Mountain and Silver Peak from the south side of this summit.

Snowqualmie and GuyeView from the northern view area on Ski Acres Hill


It should be noted that if you make a trip to this mountain you should check out the pretty Surveyors Lake located just east of the true summit of Ski Acres Hill. You can make it good loop that should include the true summit, the power line views and Surveyors Lake as well.

Surveyor LakeSurveyors Lake


There are two principle ways to get up to the summit of Ski Acres Hill. The first way is by way of the Lake Annette Trail. This is a good way to avoid the Snoqualmie Nordic Ski Area to the east and capture the summit of Ski Arces. Just take a number of side trails to the John Wayne Trail and stay on the John Wayne Trail before picking up a number of older logging road to lead to the pass between Ski Acres Hill and Ollalie Mountain. Once you get near the groomed nordic trails you want to head left and climb up the peak preferably on it gentler eastern side. There are a couple of snow-covered service roads on this mountain though one or two of them are closed and are considered private property. Try to hit the southwest ridge by the power lines. This particular section is home to the best views on this mountain. From there follow the ridge all the way to the view-less summit. On the north side of the summit ridge there will be a partial view of Snoqualmie Mountain and Guye Peak.

Heading up from Surveyor LakeUs heading up Ski Acres Hill


The other way can be technically even easier though it will set you back in your wallet $18 as of 2011-2012. You can avoid paying the fee by staying off the groomed nordic ski runs but your trip up to Ski Acres Hill will be considerably be harder. From the Hyak parking lot either take the Blue Diamond Snowshoe Trail or the power line up the ridge. If avoiding having to pay the fee stay off the groomed trails. Stay on the power line all the way up to the true ridge. There is one road though in particular that you should avoid. It is well marked as you passing by. From there follow the same directions as you would from the Lake Annette side.

Getting There

VIA THE LAKE ANNETTE TRAILHEAD: Driving Directions: From I-90 get off on exit 47 (Denny Creek). Head south from the ramp and continue a quarter mile. Turn left on Forest Road 5590 at the T intersection. The parking area is just another quarter mile.

VIA THE HYAK SKI AREA: From I-90 take exit 54. Head south on the road toward the the Hyak Ski Area. Parking in the parking area closest to freeway and start heading up a residential road to the Blue Diamond Trail

Red Tape

Northwest Forest Pass required for Lake Annette Trailhead. No fee at Hyak Trailhead, HOWEVER if you go on any groomed runs by the Nordic Ski Area it will cost $18 per person if it is open. If this is the route you choose you must stay to the side of the groomed and always allowed the X-skiers the majority of the tracts.

Camping

Note: There is no camping allowed in the Nordic Ski Area section when it is open.

External Links

Here is a good trip report on Ski Acres Hill

For those who plan on summiting this peak by using the groomed trails

Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
gimpilator

gimpilator - Dec 19, 2011 8:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice Page

What are the coordinates for this peak? As it is, it doesn't show up on the google map.

EastKing

EastKing - Dec 21, 2011 12:15 am - Hasn't voted

Opps!!

Coordinates are now on the page. A map will also be on the page by tomorrow.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2