Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.27355°N / 116.72441°W
Additional Information County: Inyo
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5716 ft / 1742 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Perry from Dantes View PeakMt. Perry from Dante's View Peak
The Black Mountains are part of the Amargosa Range in Death Valley National Park and form the southeastern wall of Death Valley across from the Panamint Range. Mount Perry is the dark red ridgeline peak toward the north end of the Blacks overlooking Badwater Basin with tremendous views up and down Death Valley and across to Telescope Peak.
Mount Perry has a dominant presence as one looks north along the crest of the Black Mountains.
This is a moderate day hike from Dantes View to the south or from the road to Dantes View to the east.

Getting There

Mt. Perry from the eastMt. Perry from the east
From Furnace Creek take Hwy. 190 southeast 11 miles. Turn right and continue south on the road to Dantes View 13 miles to the overlook parking lot.

South ridge from Dantes View: Hike north up over Dante's View Peak and on along the crest 4 miles with ups and downs and up the south ridge of Mt. Perry.
This route is 8 miles round trip with 3,300' of gain due to the ups and downs.

East slope: At the 6 miles point on the road to Dantes View park and hike west cross country about 3 miles and up the east slope of Mt. Perry. Based on general experience without having done this route it looks pretty staight forward and probably easiest to approach just north of the peak and follow the north ridge a few 10ths mile south to the summit.
This route is about 6.5 miles round trip and 2,700' gain.

Red Tape

Mt. Perry  and Pyramid PeakMt. Perry from the south ridge route


Entrance fees for Death Valley National Park are 20 dollars per vehicle good for 7 days based on the honor system.

Camping

Mt. Perry from the south ridge routeMt. Perry south ridge
Click here for camping in Death Valley National Park

Death Valley weather and forecast

Death Valley north from Mt. PerryDeath Valley north from Mt. Perry
Click here for the current weather and 5 day forecast

Etymology

Mt. Perry summit view westMt. Perry summit west
The peak is named for John S Perry the first foreman of the Harmony Borax Works in Death Valley. He designed the wagons used by the 20 mule teams to carry the borax.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.