Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.11360°N / 105.505°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9752 ft / 2972 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Across the summit boulderAcross the summit boulder


East-southeast of the tiny little hamlet of Tarryall, Colorado, is UN 9752. Rising above Thorpe Gulch to the south and Weber Park to the north, this little mountain sits alone at the eastern edge of the Puma Hills. Relatively sparse trees near the summit allow for great views of the surrounding Tarryall Mountains and Puma Hills neighbors. The mountain is surrounded by dirt roads and thus highly accessible, but with no trail to the summit, expect quiet and solitude.
The Tarryall MountainsThe Tarryall Mountains

Rank: 2,446th highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 452 feet
USGS Quad: Glentivar

Rank & Prominence: Lists of John

Getting There

Getting There & Route MapGetting There & Northeast Ridge Route Map


This peak sits less than 2 miles as the crow flies (and roughly 3.25 miles road miles) west-southwest of the small town of Tarryall, Colorado. On 77 just south of the town, take CR 31 southwest to CR 650 / FS 231.

East Ridge: From CR 650 FS 231, turn right on a dirt road possibly marked FS 231B (but unmarked on my visit). Note that this road continues to a campsite due east of the summit, though this road does not appear on any map I reviewed. Parking is available at the campsite near the USGS benchmark at 8963 ft (on flat ground).

From parking, head northwest up a broad gully toward a saddle. Turn southwest along the northeast ridge of UN 9752 to reach the summit plateau. The summit is in a jumble of boulders on the western end of the mostly wooded plateau.

Roundtrip Distance: 1.5 miles
Elevation Gain: 810 feet

West Ridge: Alternately, continue on CR 650 / FS 231 another 2.5 miles to FS 232 (turn right) to FS 232B (turn right).

Red Tape

USGS Summit MarkerUSGS Summit Marker
UN 10982 from UN 9752UN 10982 from UN 9752


There is little red tape governing recreational use in this part of the Pike National Forest and there is no fee to access this area. Adhere to LNT (Leave No Trace) principals, observe fire ban when in effect and do not harass wildlife or allow your pet to do so.

Northeast from SummitNortheast from summit

Camping

On the summit of UN 9752On the summit of UN 9752
Puma Hills neighborsPuma Hills neighbors


There is plenty of rustic 4x4 camping in and around this peak on Forest Service roads, available on a first come, first served basis. Most notably, there is a hunter’s camp at the base of the North East Ridge route. Haul your own water, pack out your trash and take care of food and human waste.

Designated National Forest Service Sites

The National Forest Service has a large selection of campgrounds in and around the Lake George area.


Campground NameElevationSitesNightly RateReservations?Notes
Blue Mountain8,200 ft.21$12YesLess than 3 miles as the crow flies from the summit of Blue Mountain near Lake George.
Spruce Grove8,600 ft.27$12NoLet the gurgling Tarryall Creek sing you to sleep.
Twin Eagles8,600 ft.9$8NoMust haul or purify drinking water.
Happy Meadows7,900 ft.8$12NoSituated along the South Platte River.
Round Mountain8,500 ft.16$12YesDrinking water, vault toilet and trash pickup.
Springer Gulch8,300 ft.15$12YesSituated within the Elevenmile Canyon; water, tables, fire grates.
Riverside8,000 ft.19$12YesSituated within Elevenmile Canyon; large grassy meadow with little shade.

Weather & Seasons

Badger Mountain from UN 9752Badger Mountain from UN 9752
Southeast from UN 9752Southeast from UN 9752




In the summer, the dirt roads surrounding this peak will likely be busy with 4x4 and ATV traffic. In the winter or early spring, approaches may be longer, but when snowed-in, the dirt roads could provide a smooth, white carpet perfect for a relaxed cross-country ski or snowshoe romp. Fall will bring cooler temperatures and more slender crowds, plus the added bonus of bright golden aspen.





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Puma HillsMountains & Rocks