Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.44176°N / 0.91697°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5003 ft / 1525 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Peñas de Santo Domingo
Summit South and North of Peñas de Santo Domingo

 
West ridge
West ridge
 
Ravine of Onsella
Ravine of Onsella

At South of the Pyrenees some mountains rise, highly individualized, an unordered set of massifs marking the transition between the mountains and the great depression of the river Ebro is the so-called outer mountains, reaching altitudes, of course, smaller than the axial chain although in all cases are important enough to highlight in the region in which they appear. We are referring to the peaks of Santo Domingo, San Juan de la Peña, Riglos, Loarre and Guara, in this order, W.-E., stand displaying some really original and diverse landscapes.
 
Aiguille
Aiguille

The Sierra de Santo Domingo and its western prolongation in the mountains of Luzientes close the Valley of Onsella showing a drop of more than eight hundred meters above it. The landscape is complex, hard aground and dislocated. The relief more attractive is located near the main summit of the massif, the Peña de Santo Domingo (1523 m), where the limestone strata have been left extremely exposed by erosion formed large slabs with delicate edges like the Raya Alta (1,224 m) or Tablados (1.570m). The vegetation extends extensively invading former pastures and hiding the trails. Yet despite the latent dehumanization of the environment, there are several tracks, in the near future roads, that cross the mountains linking the towns of spaced Longás (738 m), Luesia (812 m) and Biel (760 m), allowing a considerable simplification of the routes on foot.

The summit of Peñas de Santo Domingo (1523 m) is twofold. Between its two elevations there is a grassy hill where is the hermitage of Santo Domingo, the highest sanctuary of the Zaragoza region of Cinco Villas (Tauste, Sádaba, Uncastillo, Ejea de los Caballeros and Sos del Rey Católico).

Classically the people used the track from Longás of Biel (Malpaso) and it's the easier itinerary to the summit but it's not for mountaineers that prefer the paths from Longás. The signal are not always in good conditions but it's not very difficult to reach the summit with attention.

Getting There

The normal route is from Longás, an small village in the valley of Onsella. Another option is the beginning in Biel but is longer and less interesting.

From East you follow A-132 to the enter of the valley in the road between Huesca and Puenta la Reina de Jaca and from West the access is from the village of Sos del Rey Católico.


Ver mapa más grande

Red Tape

In winter after a recent snowfall you can't drive to this isolated villages in the morning and you must wait the cleaning of the roads.

Camping

Camping is not allowed in this places (Longás has only 53 inhabitants!). You have a few of lodges and hotels in Jaca or Huesca at 1 hour by car.

External Links


cincovillas.com
, page with information about area (Spanish)

info Malpaso-Sto Domingo, information about the route with map (Spanish)

Pirineos 3000 (text in Spanish)

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.