Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.79456°N / 119.44997°W
Additional Information County: Mariposa
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9928 ft / 3026 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sunrise Ridge west slope"Sunrise Ridge" west slope
Sunrise Ridge (unnamed on topo) runs north/south just south of Sunrise Lakes and just northwest of Sunrise Mountain in the Tenaya Lake area of the Cathedral Range in the Yosemite high country. The east slope rises gently from the saddle between Sunrise Mountain but the west slope becomes a classic steep glaciated granite face towards the south end with at least a short class 4 section near the top of the south ridge.
The ridge has unobstructed views northwest over Tenaya Canyon to the Hoffman Range, northeast and east to the peaks along the crest of the Cathedral Range and south to the Clark Range.
The east slope and north ridge are class 1, the northwest slope is class 2 and the summit blocks are class 3.

Getting There

Sunrise Ridge from Sunrise LakesSunrise Ridge from the northwest slope
From the junction at Crane Flat 5 miles in from the west Yosemite entrance take Hwy. 120 31 miles north and west to the trailhead parking right before the Tenaya Lake Campground at the southwest end of the lake. Go .2 miles on a short connect trail over Tenaya Creek and head south (right) on the John Muir Pack Trail as it gradually climbs and then switchbacks up to a saddle at 2 miles. The trail to the left is the trail to Sunrise Lakes and the Sunrise High Sierra Camp. Go left at this junction .4 miles to the first of the Sunrise Lakes. Sunrise Ridge northwest slope is obvious less than a half miles to the east. The north ridge is another .6 miles along on the trail going up to the south.

From Tioga Pass go south and west 16 miles on Hwy. 120 to the same trailhead and follow the directions above.

Red Tape

Sunrise LakeWest Sunrise Lake
The entrance fee for Yosemite National Park is 20$ per vehicle good for 7 days.
This is a dayhike requiring no permits.

The trailhead parking at Tenaya Lake is a very popular one in summer for backpackers and parking can be hard to find.

Bear boxes are mandatory for food storage at the trailhead especially for overnight excursions which require permits.

Be prepared for mosquitos in the early summer.

Camping

Sunrise Ridge summit blocksClass 3 summit blocks
Yosemite High Sierra from Sunrise RidgeHigher Cathedral Range from Sunrise Ridge
Tenaya Lake Campground is just north of the trailhead at 8,150'

Sunrise High Sierra Camp is an old established campground less than a mile east of Sunrise Ridge on past the Sunrise Lakes on the Sunrise Lakes trail at the junction with the John Muir Trail at 9,400'.

For complete info on camping and camping reservations for Yosemite National Park click here.

Yosemite weather and 5 day forecast

Click here for current weather and 5 day forecast.