Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.39110°N / 118.77688°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 12900 ft / 3932 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

"Treasure Peak" is an unofficially-named summit above Treasure Lakes, surrounded by higher peaks at the south end of Rock Creek. While overshadowed by Abbot, Dade, Mills, and Bear Creek Spire to the south, "Treasure" is indeed a treasure, with a wild, fun class 4 scramble between its east (false) and west (true) summits. It can also be climbed from Mills Lake via the class 3 northwest ridge, or via various challenging technical routes on its north face.

Getting There and Routes

Treasure s east ridgeEast ridge from false summit.
To approach the east ridge, take the Rock Creek trail past Long Lake, then follow a well-defined use trail up Rock Creek to Treasure Lakes. Make your way up the slope west of Treasure Lakes to the east (false) summit. This slope is mostly class 2, with some class 3 near the top. Now the fun begins. The ridge to the west summit looks intimidating, and is quite exposed in places, but it is mostly class 3 with a few short class 4 sections. It is generally best to stay near the ridge, bypassing obstacles to either side without losing much elevation.

For the northwest ridge (or north face), take the Mono Pass trail to just before Ruby Lake, then follow an intermittent use trail up the creek to Mills Lake. The ridge is mostly class 2, with the crux being a large notch partway up. The upper side of the notch can be reached by contouring around the west side of the ridge. It is usually possible to escape into the Mills Lake drainage to the west -- the peak is probably class 2-3 on its west slope.

Going up the east ridge and down the northwest makes a nice loop.

External Links

Bob Burd's trip report.

seano's trip report.