Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.60130°N / 110.8168°W
Additional Information County: Gila
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5385 ft / 1641 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Boulders surrounding summitBoulders surrounding summit


Almost due north of Globe, Arizona, Rockinstraw Mountain is best known in some circles for being featured in the Louis L’Amour western genre novel Taggart.

"Adam Stark had found gold. In the confusion of the mesas and canyons near Rockinstraw Mountain, Stark, his wife, Consuelo, and his sister, Miriam, were quietly working a rich vein while keeping their presence a secret from raiding Apaches. Worried that his wife might leave him, Stark wanted to make enough money to take her to San Francisco, where she could enjoy the style of life she craved.

But when Taggart, a stranger on the run from a vicious bounty hunter, enters their camp, tensions soon mount. Consuelo, against all good judgment, cannot resist testing Taggart. Is he the man who can make her happy? Will he give her the life her husband cannot? With thousands of dollars of gold in his packsadles, the Apaches are now no longer Adam Stark’s only threat."

In real life, versus life in a novel, Rockinstraw Mountain in a nifty little desert peak with over 1,000 feet of prominence, surrounded by flaking hoodoos and jaw-to-the-floor views. The rugged scenery north across the winding Salt River, the rolling Apache Peaks, distant Four Peaks and the Roosevelt Reservoir are all visible, and the visitor can gaze down numerous canyons.

Rank: 2681st highest peak in Arizona
Prominence: 1,125
USGS Quad: Rockinstraw Mountain

Rank & Prominence: Lists of John

Getting There & Basic Route Info

Toward the summitToward the summit
Rugged desert viewsRugged desert views


Rockinstraw Mountain is roughly 15 miles north as the crow flies of Globe and about 21/2 miles south of the winding Salt River. Given the property ownership issues to the west and the rugged land surrounding the mountain, the only reasonable access is via AZ 188.

Typical west slope outcrop (1)
Typical west slope outcrop (2)
Typical west slope outcrop (3)


Driving

• From the junction of US 60 and AZ 188 northwest of Globe, head northbound on AZ 188 for about 7 miles.
• Turn right on Wilburn Road. Travel only a short distance before turning left on Hicks Road. Follow Hicks Road for roughly 2.25 miles.
• Right on FS 219. Here you will encounter a gate at the entry to a ranch. The gate indicates you will travel through private land to reach Forest Service land and this access can be revoked at any time. Please close all gates behind you (or leave them as you found them) and travel lightly through this area to preserve access for other travelers!
• Follow FS 219 through Horseshoe Bend Wash. Do NOT enter this wash if there is any chance of rain upstream due to risk of flash-flooding! The road is surprisingly smooth as it winds through the very narrow canyon.
• After about 7.5 miles, you will encounter a dirt road to the left. It may/may not be marked as Shute Springs Road (more than likely un-marked).
• You can look for parking near this junction. There are some pullouts if you proceed a bit up the road. The road very quickly goes to hell, and a high-clearance vehicle with a short wheel base is strongly recommended not long after the junction with FS 219. You can proceed via 4x4 all the way to the saddle west of Rockinstraw should you prefer, but do not have a strong attachment to the paintjob on your rig, expecting to bring home plenty of beauty marks and “Arizona pin-striping.”

On the summitOn the summit
Cross on southern end of summitCross on southern end of summit
Road DamageRoad Damage


Hiking
Rockinstraw Map


• From the junction with FS 219, follow the deeply-rutted dirt road climbing gently through brush and scrub. The road will gain a saddle between Rockinstraw and the point southeast of Granite Peak.
• Head east up the slopes toward the first rock band ringing the peak. Look for a weakness in the rock that allows easy access. With patient route-finding, the terrain should not exceed Class 2+ or easy Class 3, max.
• After reaching the top of the first band, continue eastward across a broad plateau toward the band of rock surrounding the summit. Again, the going here should not exceed Class 2+ or easy Class 3, max, with careful and patient route-finding.
• The summit area is marked with a cairn and obvious. There is a USGS marker on the top. The southern end of the summit area is marked by a dark wooden cross.

Route Stats
From Junction of FS 219

Roundtrip Distance: 4.3 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,000 feet
YDS: Class 2+ or easy Class 3
Bushwhacking Rating: Desert B1

Red Tape

(a) Summit RegisterSummit register
(b) USGS Summit MarkerUSGS Summit Marker
(c) Footsteps of a giantFootsteps of a giant


Western slopesWestern slopes
Working our way up the rocksWorking our way up the rocks


Nestled into a segment of the Tonto National Forest, surrounded by a combination of private ranchland and the San Carlos Indian Reservation. The only reasonable access is via AZ 188 from the east and passes through private ranch land. Signage clearly reminds the visitor that access through ranch gates can be revoked at any time.

Camping & Lodging

Rockinstraw Mountain from Apache PeaksRockinstraw Mountain from Apache Peaks


Rustic Camping Near the Peak
I really saw no place during my visit to this peak that I would like to call camp for the night. There is no water (all water needs to be hauled in) unless you’re willing to scrounge around to find a spring. The land is rugged and deeply carved by canyons.

Hotels in Globe
There is a limited selection of motels in the town of Globe. Check out the Globe Trip Advisor page http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g31232-Globe_Arizona-Hotels.html for more information.

National Forest Service Campgrounds
There really are no designated National Forest Service Campgrounds near Rockinstraw Mountain. Check with the local ranger station about camping options before heading out.

Globe Ranger District
7680 S. Six Shooter Canyon Rd.
Globe, Arizona 85501
(928) 402-6200
Descent from summitDescent from summit
Across the Salt RiverAcross the Salt River

Weather & Seasons




MonthAvg HighAvg LowRain
January57 F30 F1.5 in.
February62 F33 F1.3 in.
March68 F37 F1.3 in.
April76 F43 F0.6 in.
May86 F50 F0.3 in.
June96 F67 F0.4 in.
July98 F67 F2.5 in.
August95 F65 F2.8 in.
September91 F59 F1.3 in.
October80 F48 F1.1 in.
November67 F37 F1.0 in.
December58 F31 F1.8 in.


• April, May and June are the dry season, July and August bring the monsoons.
• From May through September, daytime high temperatures can be searing.
• Expect winter days to be cool-to-warm and sunny, with cold nighttime lows.

Granite PeakGranite Peak
Summit cross and Four PeaksSummit cross and Four Peaks

Find more about Weather in Globe, AZ
Click for weather forecast
Prickly PearPrickly Pear


Climate Date Source: Western Regional Climate Center