Como Hill (Mount Alvernia)

Como Hill (Mount Alvernia)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 24.29626°N / 75.40973°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 206 ft / 63 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Como HillLooking up Como Hill from the parking area

Como Hill has an elevation of 206 feet and is the tallest point in The Bahamas. Located on Cat Island, Como Hill is also named Mount Alvernia and is crowned by a monastery called The Hermitage.

The Hermitage is a medieval monastery that was built on Cat Island by a Roman Catholic priest in 1939. Monsignor John Hawes, known by Cat Islanders as Father Jerome, was a skilled architect and sculptor. A self-described "contemplative," he built it so that he could get away from the world.

Father Jerome chose Como Hill as the site for his project, an obvious choice with its beautiful 360-degree view around the lush island. Hiking up the hill to the monastery, visitors can see his beautiful and detailed hand-carved stone relief's of the Stations of the Cross.

An admirer of St. Francis of Assisi, Father Jerome called the getaway Mount Alvernia, after a mountain in Tuscany that was given to Assisi as a place where he could peacefully contemplate.

Father Jerome is also known for building cathedrals and convents throughout The Bahamas. He died in 1956 and is said to be buried somewhere on the site of The Hermitage.

Sign for Como HillSign for Como Hill.

Getting There

Cat Island can be accessed by both sea and air. Air travel to Cat Island is available via scheduled and charter airlines. Most flights to Cat Island will originate in either Nassau (NAS) or Grand Bahama (FPO). From Nassau there are daily flights to the two airports serving Cat Island – Arthur's Town Airport (ATC) and New Bight Airport (TBI). New Bight Airport is the closest airport to Como Hill, located approximately 4 miles away.

Sea service is provided by mail boats to a number of settlements/towns on a weekly (or more frequent) basis.

Route

The "route" to the top is about a five to ten minute walk from the parking area. As you walk up the trail you pass the stations of the cross that are inscribed in pictures in markers along the upper half of the trail. At the top is a crypt type enclosure that sits under The Hermitage.
7th Station of the CrossJesus falls for the second time.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.