Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.40773°N / 121.67994°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 4440 ft / 1353 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Greenway MountainGreenway Mountain


Greenway Mountain is an excellent winter destination for those people in the Seattle area that want good mountain close to Seattle and is seldom visited by people. The mountain can also be done in summer as well, though the views are not quiet as amazing as when there is snow in the area. You will have solitude on this mountain and if the weather is clear very good views. With the trailhead located right off of I-90 38 miles from downtown Seattle this peak is good for those who want the good summits without the longer drives.

The Cedar Creek WatershedA look toward the Cedar Creek Watershed


As for the views Greenway Mountain offer good views of Mount Rainier, McCellan Butte the ridge that contains West Defiance, Defiance, Putrid Pete Peak and Webb Mountain and other summits such as Teneriffe and Green Mountain. These views are much more enhanced in winter because of the snow on the peak as well as the surrounding peaks. On the way there this also plenty of good views as you go on the 15 miles, 3300 feet of elevation gain to get to the summit.

Rainier from Greenway MountainRainier from Greenway Mountain


This peak is not recommended during high avalanche danger. The route does pass by avalanche terrain on the east side on Change Peak which is quiet active. When I passed by I noticed quiet a bit of avalanche debris that went right over the snow-covered logging road. I would also recommend an ice axe for this section. Me and my climbing partner Zephyr were quick to break the ice axe over some of the steeper traverses where drop-off on the left side can be up to 60 degrees. Once passed this section though it is a simple road walk for the next two and half miles one way to the summit of Greenway Peak. There a short scramble on the end leads to the true summit and its good views.

Looking east from the summitThe summit ridge of Greenway Mountain

Route Information

At this trail sign make a leftMake a left here. In winter there will not be many track on this trail

At the edge of the wallAt the edge of the Great Wall


From the Ollalie State Park parking area you want to head up the side path to the John Wayne trail and head west (right on it) in about 300 yards you will find an unmarked trail on your left-hand side. This is the Mount Washington Trail. Take the Mount Washington trail roughly 2 miles as it steadily rise until it reaches the intersection with the Great Wall Trail. Make a left on the Great Wall and take it all the way up until the trail reaches a forest road. Along the way you will pass right underneath the Great Wall which will have a moat during the winter. In terms of what I saw in winter once past the Great Wall the trail becomes overgrown and the snowshoe path was hard to make out. Once on the road make a left.

Steep slope; Ice axe recommended in winterThe ice axe will only be needed on the eastern slope of Change Peak

Avalanche zone on the way upAvalanche debris; use caution here


As soon as you around a couple turns you will see Change Peak right in front you. Take the road all the way to the base of Change Peak. You have two options here. You can either climb up over Change Peak and down to the other side which will be a tough bushwhack or stay on the road as it traverses around the side of Change Peak. If you choose the road you will avoid about an hour of tough bushwhacking but will encounter some avalanche danger in winter on the east slope. Once passed the Change Peak area stay on the logging road as it goes over the ridgeline.

Route past Change PeakRoute past Change Peak


Soon you will start Watershed Trespassing Signs on your right hand side stay on the road and don’t put foot off to the right because you will be on Watershed Property and will risk getting prosecuted. Continue up the road all the way to near the summit area of Greenway Peak. From there it is a simple scramble to the summit of Greenway Peak where beautiful views await.

Here is an excellent map of the route up Change Peak as well as Greenway Peak by fellow SPer Eric Willhite

Getting There

VIA I-90: From I-90 just east of North Bend get off of Exit 38. From the ramp you must make a right. About roughly 100 feet in front of you make another right onto gravel that will lead into a parking area. A Discover Pass is required.

Red Tape

Discovery Pass is required at the trailhead. It is $10 for the day and $30 for the year.

Camping

Camping here is not recommended due to the fact that there are no good sites and the fact that you are close to the watershed.

External Links

There is avalanche terrain on this summit so please check this website out

Excellent trip report from fellow SPer Eric Willhite on this mountain

Summer hiking information on this mountain via the WTA

More information on Greenway Peak

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.