Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.28440°N / 106.1582°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13194 ft / 4022 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

London Mountain from above Cooney LakeLondon Mountain from above Cooney Lake


Among the top 500 highest peaks in Colorado, London Mountain sits somewhat alone, seperating the Mosquito Creek Basin to the east and northeast from American Flats and the South Mosquito Basin to the southwest.

Occupying a fine neighborhood, London Mountain is surrounded by Mosquito Range highcountry. Nearby peaks visible from the summit of London Mountain include: Pennsylvania Mountain (13,006 ft.), Mount Evans (13,577 ft.), Sheep Mountain (12,818 ft.), Mosquito Peak (13,781 ft.), Treasurevault Mountain (13,701 ft.), Mount Arkansas (13,795 ft.), Mount Tweto (13,672), Mount Buckskin (13,865 ft.) and Loveland Mountain (13,692 ft.)

This peak is readily accessible to those with a 4x4, and the west ridge provides slightly more interesting summit access than a mere walk-up, though the scrambling is easy. In addition to lovely Mosquito Range scenery as well as views of distant peaks, visitors to this mountain get to enjoy old mining structures of the North London Mine and even curious left over mining equipment, all evidence of the stamp the mineral industry has left on this mountain region.

Rank: 493rd highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 534 feet
USGS Quad: Climax
Trails Illustrated Map: #109 (Breckenridge, Tennessee Pass)

Rank & Prominence: Lists of John

Getting There

Along the West Ridge of London MountainAlong the West Ridge of London Mountain
London Mountain s NeighborsLondon Mountain's Neighbor


London Mountain resides in the Pike/San Isabel National Forest. The peak is accessed from the west via Colorado Hwy 91 north of Leadville and from the east via Colorado Hwy 9 just south of Alma. Four-wheel drive access is via Mosquito Pass Road, which touches the base of the west ridge of this mountain.

Red Tape

Mount Buckskin with pondMount Buckskin with pond


There is no fee to visit this part of the Pike National Forest and permits are not required for overnight stays in the backcountry. Generally, there is relatively little red tape in this area, however, the Mosquito Gulch basin is a patchwork of property ownership, both public (mostly National Forest but one block of State of Colorado land) and private (primarily mining claims). Respect any signage that may appear, and appreciate the fact that recreational use of the land in this area goes largely unchallenged.
Please follow LNT (Leave No Trace) principals:

1. Plan Ahead and Prepare
2. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
3. Dispose of Waste Properly
4. Leave What You Find
5. Minimize Campfire Impacts
6. Respect Wildlife
7. Be Considerate of Other Visitors


Along the West Ridge of London MountainAlong the West Ridge of London Mountain
Nice NeighborhoodNice Neighborhood

Camping & Lodging

West Ridge of London MountainWest Ridge of London Mountain
Early autumn, upper Mosquito Creek BasinEarly autumn, upper Mosquito Creek Basin

Last Steps to the SummitLast Steps to the Summit
Gemini from London MountainGemini from London Mountain


Eastern Approach



Dispersed 4x4 and walk-in camping is available in the Mosquito Creek basin. This area has been heavily mined, making the safety of the water suspect for human consumption.

Several national Forest developed campgrounds are available in the greater Fairplay-Alma area.

CampgroundNightly FeeNumber of SitesReservations Accepted?Elevation
Fourmile Campground$12.0014No10,762 ft.
Horseshoe Campground$12.0019Yes10,560 ft.
Weston Campground$12.0014No10,200 ft.
Buffalo Springs Campground$12.0018Yes9,000 ft.


Fairplay & Alma Lodging
The nearby Hwy 9 communities of Fairplay and Alma provide a laid-back atmosphere and reasonable prices for lodging. A few hotel rooms and lodges exist in these small communities, but privately-owned rental cabins can allow for ample privacy with all of the comforts of home.

Detailed information about lodging in Fairplay and Alma may be found here: South Park Area Lodging

Ingersoll Rand air compressor, North London MineIngersoll Rand air compressor
Mining Ruins, north side of London MountainNorth London Mine ruins
Old Mining EquipmentNorth London Mine equipment



Cooney LakeCooney Lake



Western Approach



Dispersed 4x4 camping may be available along Birdseye Gulch. This area has been heavily mined, making the safety of the water suspect for human consumption.

National Forest Developed Campgrounds

The Leadville Ranger District of the Pike & San Isabel National Forest and the Eagle / Holy Cross Ranger District of the White River National Forest each contains numerous campgrounds

Leadville/Twin Lakes Lodging
The Leadville/Twin Lakes area provides more simple down-to-earth, budget-friendly lodging option, including family RV parks. Still, proximately to several attractions, including Colorado’s High Point (Mount Elbert 14,433 ft.) mean snagging a room requires careful planning in advance of your visit.

For detailed information about lodging in the Leadville/Twin Lakes area, visit this website: Leadville Lodging

London Mountain s North SideLondon Mountain's North Side

Weather & Seasons

Find more about Weather in Alma, CO
Click for weather forecast
Fall: Autumn (beginning late in “calendar summer”) is a fantastic time in the Mosquito Gulch area. The tundra plants burn crimson and fiery orange, the summer crowds have begun to disperse and the afternoon thunderstorms become less of given.

Winter & Spring: Mosquito Pass Road is likely plowed the first few miles from Hwy 9 through the tiny community of Park City. An approach from the west side would take advantage of the well-maintained Colorado Hwy 91. All routes in this area in the winter need to keep carefully in mind the generally unstable Colorado snowpack.

Summer: Summer makes for easy access (clear, typically dry roads), but the afternoon thunderstorm (that sometimes arrives in late morning!) becomes a key objective hazard. Start early in the day to be back down to treeline prior to the daily storm. This area is also quite popular with motorized vehicle recreationalist in the summer, so if you do not enjoy sharing the high country with dirt bikes and ATVs, then plan to visit “Repeater Peak” some other time of the year.
Northwest from the summit of London MountainNorthwest from the summit of London Mountain


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mosquito RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks