Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.87790°N / 106.0324°W
Additional Information County: Chaffee
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10350 ft / 3155 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount YaleMount Yale from UN 10350

Typical of summits in the Buena Vista East area, UN 10350 combines easy accessibility, a laid-back vibe and gonzo views of the Sawatch Range. And, typical of a ranked peak with no name, this gentle little mountain sees relatively little traffic, save for a few locals who use it as a training/fitness ascent and the periodic peak hunter.

Views of the Sawatch dominate along the length of the ridgetop through breaks in the trees, and several wide-open spaces along the summit ridge offer totally unimpeded vistas of high country goodness. The summit proper, on the far northwestern end of the mountain, is marked by a small cairn and is snuggled into the trees just right to stay out of the wind and enjoy a break.

Rank: 2110th highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 530 feet
USGS Quad: Marmot Peak

Rank & Prominence: Lists of John

Getting There

Sawatch ViewsSawatch Views


UN 10350 rises just north of US Hwy 24/Hwy 285 east of Buena Vista, Colorado, in the San Isabel National Forest. A network of dirt Forest Service roads surrounds this peak on the southern end, making it highly accessible.

I’ll post a simple but useful route for this peak shortly!

Red Tape

Road ClosureSeasonal road closure
Mount Yale from the SE ridgeMount Yale from the SE ridge



There is plenty of private property on the approach to this peak from FS 309. Save yourself the hassle and approach the peak via the Forest Service land surrounding Limestone Ridge to the west and north. There are no fees to access this area and few regulations governing your use of this part of the San Isabel National Forest. Be aware of road closures from 1 December through 15 April each year in this area.

Kodi in the snow (b)
Southeast Ridge
Kodi in the snow (a)

Camping & Lodging

Summit register in snowSummit register in snow
Signing the registerSigning the register
UN 10350 from Limestone RidgeUN 10350 from Limestone Ridge

Kaufman Ridge SystemKaufman Ridge System


Near the mountain
There is a rustic camping area at the junction of FS 305 and FS 376. Note that this is a dry campsite, meaning you must haul in all of the water you will need for your stay. Additionally, this is a moderately high-traffic 4x4 area in the warmer months, so set your expectations for solitude accordingly.

Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area Campgrounds
The AHRA operates six campgrounds in the Arkansas River valley, two of which are located in reasonable proximity to Limestone Ridge. Be aware that these campgrounds are popular with white water rafters in the warmer months and are used as take-outs / put-ins for boaters.

Railroad Bridge Campground
North of Buena Vista on County Road 371
• 14 campsites (each consists of tent pad, fire grill and table)
• Two vault toilets
• Two changing areas

Ruby Mountain Campground
South of Buena Vista on County Road 300 via CR 301
• 22 campsites (each consists of tent pad, fire grill and table)
• Four vault toilets
• Two changing areas

Buena Vista hotels, B&Bs, cabins and commercial campgrounds
A variety of lodging options are available in the nearby town of Buena Vista, skewing toward the simple and affordable. Visit the Colorado Vacation Directory Buena Vista page or the Trip Advisor area guide for more details.

Weather & Seasons

Mount Princeton dominatesMount Princeton dominates the western skyline


This moderate elevation peak is a year-round objective.
Due to the popularity of this area in the summer with OHV enthusiasts, visit this peak in snow season if quiet and solitude are desired.


Find more about Weather in Buena Vista, CO
Click for weather forecast
Fall: Autumn would be a perfect time to visit this peak, when the Aspen are ablaze in bright golds against the blue Colorado sky and the summertime crowds have begun to wane. Be mindful of elk hunters in the area and wear bright colors for safety.

Winter: UN 10350 makes a delightful snowshoe outing. Heavy snow may temporarily close area 4x4 roads…or close them for the remainder of the season, thus lengthening your walk. For the most part, you should find you have this area all to yourself in the winter.

Spring: Deep and rotten late-season snow could make UN 10350 an arduous outing in the Spring, though this area will melt out much earlier than the higher country across the valley.

Summer: This lower elevation area east of Buena Vista gets somewhat hot and sun-baked compared to the high country to the west, but this could be a good acclimatization hike for visitors from lower elevations wanting to tackle higher goals later in their visit. Be forewarned that this is a popular OHV area in the snow-free months.
Find more about Weather in Buena Vista, CO
Click for weather forecast