Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.61442°N / 123.22197°W
Additional Information County: Siskiyou
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7405 ft / 2257 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Paradise Lake

Kings Castle is a peak in the Marble Mountain Wilderness of Northern California. The Marble Mountains were established a primitive area in 1931 and were designated wilderness in the freshman class of the Wilderness Act in 1964. The area contains 277,000 acres of ancient forest, pristine lakes, wild rivers, craggy peaks, and alpine meadows. The area is remote and receives relatively low use and provides incredible opportunities for solitude.

The route to Kings Castle is simple to follow and provides a moderately easy day hike. Once you reach Paradise Lake, head up around the left side and you'll find a faded user trail up to the ridge and to the top of Kings Castle.

Getting There

Fall Colors


Access is from the Paradise Trailhead:
From Interstate 5 in Yreka take the Highway 3 exit at the south end of town. Take Highway 3 west to Fort Jones, in Scott Valley.
Turn right onto River Road and proceed west, following the course of the Scott River.
After several miles, turn left onto 44N45, crossing of the Scott River on the Indian Scotty bridge.
Proceed past the Indian Scotty campground.
The road narrows but remains paved, at a sharp junction, proceed straight, onto the unpaved portion of 44N45.
After a couple miles you'll reach a fork and take 44N44 which is on the left. The trailhead is at the end of this road.

Red Tape

Going up.


King's Castle is located in the Marble Mountain Wilderness, which is administered by the Klamath National Forest. Normal wilderness rules and ethics apply. A campfire permit is required.

Klamath National Forest

1312 Fairlane Road
Yreka, CA 96097-9549
(530) 842-6131

Salmon River & Scott River Ranger Districts

11263 N. Highway 3
Fort Jones, CA 96032-9702
(530) 468-5351

Camping

Descending this way is not recommended...


Camping is allowed throughout the wilderness area. Camping at Paradise Lake would be beautiful, but the lake has a muddy bottom and is not very inviting for swimming, and the high level of cattle grazing could detract from the experience. Regardless, this hike is incredible and highly recommended.

A campground is available at the Lovers Camp trailhead nearby as well as at Indian Scotty.

External Links

Add External Links text here.