Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.94029°N / 110.57812°W
Additional Information County: GTNP/NF
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Elevation: 8278 ft / 2523 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Pilgrim Mountain - Grand Teton National Park

Pilgrim Mountain is a small remote mountain towards the northern entrance of Grand Teton National Park. This Mountain is rarely climbed due to the fact that there is no trail to the top. However, In early spring this mountain gives a great view of Jackson Lake and the beginning of the Teton Range as you exit Yellowstone National Park.

With a GPS this summit can easily be reached by any hiker with moderate experience.

Getting There

The trailhead to Pilgim Mountain is located at the end of Pilgrim Creek Road. As soon as you pass Colter Bay (coming from Yellowstone) it is the second dirt road on the left that you will approach. (At certain times of the year, possible 4x4 required). Take this road approximately 2.5 miles, until it dead ends into a circular loop. Park here. You are now in the National Forest. There are a few fire pits that have been built at the end of the road for any primitive camping. This spot also makes a great base-camp for you to summit Pilgrim Mountain.

Follow the tire marks where the old road used to run into the forest until that path runs out. Continue to follow the highest points on the ridge lines while maintaining a North Westerly direction towards the summit. About 1.8 miles into the hike you will see a large grassy opening on the highest point in your vision; this is Pilgrim Mountain.



BUSHWHACK!
This is very dense forest. I would recommend both pants AND bug spray. Remember, there is NO trail.

To approach the summit, maintain a direction focusing towards the large grassy opening at the top of the mountain. There will be a large increase of elevation at this point. This last push is what we all considered the most difficult point of the hike.

From the Summit





Upon completion, trace your trail back to the base-camp loop area.

Pilgrim is a nice little summit for the early season when there is snow everywhere else. Also, a remote place to camp with no red-tape anytime you come through the Tetons.

Red Tape

No red tape whatsoever. The entire hike is in the National Forest. No permit required for camping or hiking.

Camping

On Site. See "Getting There"Add External Links text here.