Point 4943 "Teanaway Ridge"

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.33487°N / 120.73558°W
Additional Information County: Kittitas
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4943 ft / 1507 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

View south while heading upViews of Point 4943 "Teanaway Ridge" (on the left) from heading up to Iron Bear


Point 4943, otherwise known as "Teanaway Ridge" is a southern high point on Teanaway Ridge. This peak is yet another peak located in the Teanaway that offers a great escape from the bad weather located on the western side of the Cascades. There are many charms to this summit and this ridge. The first is despite the lower height of this peak the views here of the surrounding area including the Enchantments, the Teanaway, and east over to Mission Ridge and Blewett Pass are very pretty.

The summit view east toward Table MountainSummit views

Table Mountain from the edge of the true summitGreat open shot of Table Mountain


The best time to visit this summit is either in spring just after the snow melts or fall when the colors come alive here. In June once the snow melts this ridge can light up with a wide variety of wildflowers. In fall this ridge contains a number of western larches in the higher terrain and decidious trees in the lower terrain which light up the surrounding area.
In winter this summit can make a good snowshoe destination as well but require quiet a long roadwalk from Route 97 to get to the viewpoint. Like many peaks in this region snowshoes are advised for this hike.

More wildflowersWildflower heaven


The route up

Map of the Route


The best way to get to Point 4943 "Teanaway Ridge" is to take the Iron Creek-Bear Creek Trail roughly a mile and a half up to the top of the ridge. From there you will want to make a left and follow the Teanaway Ridge Trail as it goes over the partial wooden ridge for another 2 1/2 miles to Teanaway Ridge. The easy to follow walkup starts off going quickly up 300 feet then drop down 200 feet before rise up and down one more time before making the true summit of Point 4943 "Teanaway Ridge". The true summit is mostly wooden with exception to the east which has a clear view east to Diamond Head and Table Mountain. If you head south about 200 feet there is another opening looking towards Red Top and much of the southern Teanaway. Overall though this summit is low it is well worthwhile especially when everything else in the region is being heavily affected by bad weather.

The view west towards the western TeanawayViews along the ridge


Getting There

Iron Creek Road FR 9714 is 19 miles from northeast and 30 miles south of Leavenworth off of Route 97. Mineral Springs is to the south. It will be on the western side of the road. Follow the road for roughly 3 miles to the end. If not driving a 4 by 4 it is recommended that you park in the lower parking lot and walk up to trailhead #1351. The road crosses a stream and becomes rougher higher up.

Red Tape

Did not see any Northwest Forest Pass signs on this trailhead. Bring one though just in case.

Camping

Camping is abundant on this road on the way up to the trailhead. These camping areas were empty when I was there on a Friday in June but are likely busy on the weekend. There is also a number of decent camping/bivy areas on the ridge. Please leave no trace.

External Links

A great website by Eric Willhite on this summit

Northwest Avalanche Center