Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.57888°N / 120.96365°W
Additional Information County: Chelan
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6793 ft / 2071 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The top of Bootjack MountainThe final summit rock of Bootjack Mountain


Bootjack Mountain ranked #46 in the Wenatchee Back Court top 100 is yet another classic eastern Cascade Mountain. The mountain is home to excellent views of the whole Icicle Ridge, The Enchantments, Mount Stuart, some of the Teanaway summit and many, many other summits. Despite these excellent views this summit is often overlooked for the larger neighboring mountains in the region. That should not deter you though from this mountain because the views from this summit are excellent. This summit is also a good warm-up for those getting ready to do either the Enchantments or other mountains in the region.

Looking down Bootjack MountainView from Bootjack Mountain


This mountain is good to climb for spring, summer and fall. In spring this mountain makes for a good late season snowshoe as soon as the road opens up. The grade is just easy enough to make snowshoe doable. Watch for cornices though near if attempting this peak at this time. On a normal year the usually melt off this mountain by July. For 2012 this will probably be late July where mountain becomes just a hike with a short 100 foot YDS class 2 scramble to the summit. In fall many of the larches from neighboring mountains begin to come out making this summit well worthwhile to view all the larches on the mountains.

Looking west from BootjackView from Bootjack Mountain

The Route


Map of the RouteMap of the Route


Bootjack Mountain require 8 miles roundtrip and 3800 feet of elevation gain. For the most part this is just steeper trail hike up the mountain. From the Black Pine Trailhead take the Jack pine Trail roughly 0.3 miles as it first intersects with the horse trail and then it runs into the Blackjack Trail. On the four way intersection with the Blackjack Trail make a right where you will immediately start heading uphill. The trail will go up the mountain starting out the first 2000 feet up steeper switchbacks. Once above the 5000 foot level the trail does less switchbacks and more just following the ridge.

Zephyr on the summit of BootjackZephyr on Bootjack


Views will break out on this mountain at about the 6000 foot level as the trail continues to rise to the summit. At about the 6600 foot level you must break off from the trail and then head up to the rocky true summit. This scramble is barely YDS Class 2 at best and not very exposed if the right route is chosen. There is a little exposure on the summit with a drop-off to the east towards the beautiful Enchantments.

Getting There

VIA THE BLACK PINE TRAILHEAD: Head over to the western edge of Leavenworth. Head southwest on Icicle Creek Road and follow it past the Snow Lake Trailhead and past the road leading to the Stuart Lake trailhead. Continue 10 more miles past both the Chatter Creek Campground and the Rock Island Campground. The trailhead will be on your right two miles past the Rock Island Campground and just before the Black Pine Horse Camp.

Red Tape

Northwest Forest Pass is required. Can be purchased at any ranger station or REI.

Camping

Rock Island Campground is located 2 miles east from the trailhead and runs $14 for the night. The campground does not accept reservation. The Black Pine Horse Camp near the trailhead is only available for campers with horse. As for backcountry, there are a number of area especially at the 6000 foot level where there is a nice bench with an excellent view of the Enchantments. The only issue here it is over 3000 feet of elevation gain to get to this spot and the trail is somewhat steep in places.

External Links

Trip Report Links



Summer Trip Report

Spring Trip Report

Early Fall Triip Report