Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.04593°N / 106.63159°W
Additional Information County: Pitkin
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13282 ft / 4048 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Northeast face of Truro Peak from Grizzly Reservoir




South face of Truro Peak





Truro is a jagged peak that rises in the upper portions of the Lincoln Creek Valley near Aspen, Colorado. To the west, a 12820 ft saddle separates Truro Peak from another jagged summit known as West Truro Peak (13140 ft). The northern slopes of Truro and West Truro Peaks drop down steeply to create an alpine cirque that houses Truro Lake (12180 ft).

Truro Peak is usually accessed via its southern slopes. A good option is to go up the steep grassy southern slopes to reach the 12820 ft saddle. A class III hike up the rocky western ridgeline of Truro will then take you to its summit.

Reaching the starting point of the hike for Truro Peak will require a 10 mile drive on the rough Lincoln Creek dirt Road.





Southwest face of Truro Peak




Southeast face of Truro Peak


Views from the summit of Truro Peak















Anderson & Larson Peaks
Anderson & Larson Peaks
Petroleum Peak (UN 13505 ft)
Petroleum Peak
Truro Lake
Truro Lake & Tabor Peak
Looking North
Looking North
Grizzly Reservoir
Grizzly Reservoir
Tellurium Peak (UN 13300 ft)
Tellurium Peak & West Truro Peak, Castle Peak in the distance


Truro from various angles

South face of Truro South Face
Truro Peak from Anderson Lake Anderson Lake
Truro After Rainfall After Rain
SW face of Truro Truro & West Truro
Southwest Face Truro & West Truro
Sotheast face Southeast Face
Northeast Face NE Face
Northeast Face NE Face
Southeast Face Truro, West Truro & Larson

The western ridgline of Truro













Western Ridgeline
 
Western Ridgeline
 
Western Ridgeline
 
Western Ridgeline
 
Western Ridgeline
 
Western Ridgeline
 


Southern Grassy Slopes










Southern Grassy Slopes
 
Southern Grassy Slopes
 
Southern Grassy Slopes
 


Getting There

Directions to Petroleum Lake Trailhead (see Route Page)

From the town of Aspen, drive roughly 10 miles east on Route 82 until you see the sign for the Lincoln Gulch Road (Forest Road 106) on the right (south) side of the road.

Guidebooks might say that most cars can drive up Lincoln Gulch Road but I found it to be pretty rough and will not drive it in anything less than an SUV.

Drive the pot hole ridden Lincoln Gulch Road east. After 3.3 miles, you will reach the junction of New York Creek Road. Continue straight (left). 0.75 miles later you will reach the Tabor Creek Trailhead.

After the Tabor Creek Trailhead, the road seems to become much smoother. It continues east for another 2.5 miles to reach the Grizzly Reservoir. Here the road turns south and becomes rough again. 4WD is recommended. Drive the road another 3.5 miles to reach the signed junction of the trail to Anderson & Petroleum Lakes (11200 ft).

Galena Creek drainage comes to view less than a mile to the north of Petroleum Lake Trailhead. If you are interested in hiking this drainage, you will have to identify the creek on your own. It is quite obvious on the south side of Truro Peak (see Route Page).

Red Tape

No fees or permits needed for day hikes.
For other regulations, see the website for White River National Forest.







Map
Map


Weather

Click to see the forecast for the nearby town of Aspen.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.