Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.65600°N / 105.8841°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12585 ft / 3836 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Across the pass toward Sniktau
Across the pass toward Mount Sniktau

I venture to guess that a lot of people visit the summit of this peak unaware they are standing on the summit of one of the highest 1,000 peaks in Colorado. Resting quietly astride the Continental Divide, UN 12585 guards the southwest end of Loveland Pass (11990 feet / 3655 meters), and the views from the top of this mountain are stunning.

Immediately across the pass is the ridge containing Mount Sniktau and Grizzly Peak and the tops of the dual Fourteeners Torreys Peak and Grays Peak pop out from behind this ridge. Further south, Lenawee Mountain creates a formidable backdrop to A-basin. The eye can follow the Continental Divide westward from this summit for quite a while. To the north-northeast, Hager Mountain, “The Citadel” and Pettingell Peak beckon. No fewer than four Colorado ski areas are visible from the top of this peak: Arapaho Basin, Keystone, Loveland and Copper Mountain.

Rank: 942nd highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 445 feet / 136 meters
USGS Quad: Loveland Pass
Planning Map: Trails Illustrated #104: Idaho Springs | Georgetown | Loveland Pass

Rank & Elevation: Lists of John

Getting There

 
Route Map
 


LOVELAND PASS (Standard Route)

From the East:Drive west on Interstate 70. As you approach the Eisenhower Tunnel, take the exit for Loveland Pass. The exit channels you under the highway. Go right and take Highway 6 past the Loveland Ski Area and follow the road to the top of Loveland Pass and park.

From the West:Take I-70 through the Eisenhower Tunnel. Just beyond the tunnel, take the Loveland Pass exit, make a hard right, passing the Loveland Ski Area entrance and go to the top of Loveland Pass and park. You can also take Highway 6 from Dillon through Keystone resort to the top of Loveland Pass.

Hike from Loveland Pass
If simply summiting this peak, alone, from Loveland Pass, expect about 2 miles / 3.2 kilometers roundtrip with 600 feet / 183 meters of elevation gain and Class 1+ travel.

Red Tape

 
Ski cairn
Ski cairn


There exists little or no red tape in this part of the National Forest, and this peak can be accessed without fees or permits. Please follow LNT (Leave No Trace) principles:

1.Plan Ahead and Prepare
2.Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
3.Dispose of Waste Properly
4.Leave What You Find
5.Minimize Campfire Impacts
6.Respect Wildlife
7.Be Considerate of Other Visitors


Across the pass
Across the pass
On the summit
On the summit

Weather & Seasons

Heaven
Heaven on the Horizon


Click image for avalanche forecast
Thanks to proximity to Loveland Pass Road (US 6), UN 12585 is accessible year-round.

- Many peak hikers purposely save Loveland Pass area peaks as a winter trip, in part due to their accessibility even in snow season. Check the weather and avalanche conditions before heading out, however. The winds on these ridgelines can be relentlessly brutal, and the cornices don't suffer fools.
- In the summer, the Loveland Pass area peaks are a nice place to cool off and enjoy the mountain air with minimal effort.

Click image for weather forecast


For updated weather conditions, 9News has a webcam set up near the Eisenhower tunnel, just a mile or two from UN 12585.

Camping & Lodging

 
Toward Grizzly Peak
Toward Grizzly Peak
 
Toward A-Basin
Toward A-Basin


Many (most?) folks aspiring to summit this peak will do so either as a resident of or visitor to one of the Front Range metropolitan areas (such as Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins or Boulder), and thus few will need overnight lodging.

Camping: Camping in the area is very limited and there is no campground in Loveland Pass.

Hotels and Bed and Breakfasts: The nearby town of Georgetown has a few hotels, B&Bs and inns to choose from. Visit this TripAdvisor page for more information on lodging in the area.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Front RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 12ersMountains & Rocks