Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.79748°N / 1.08567°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9311 ft / 2838 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mont Valier
Mont Valier

The Mont Valier is the king of Couseran and one of the most important mountains of the Pyrenees. It's not very high if you compare it with other peaks of the range but in this zone is the highest peak and it's contemplated from many places.

First climb: legend or reality but the tradition gave this honour to Valerius , bishop of Couserans in V century (it's the origin of the name Valier). He built the first cross in the summit. In 1672 the bishop Bernard de Marmiesse built a new cross in the summit. After some centuries a mountaineer threw the cross to the valley but some years after it was found and rebuilt in its original place.

Routes: the three most knows are from Ribèrot (N), Estours (W) or Montgarri (S).

-Valley of Ribèerot: from Pla de la Lau (970m), 1900m, 6h. Possible: 2 days with night in Refuge des Estagnous (2246m).
-Valley of Estours: from Estours (675m), 2280m, 7h 30m. Possible: 2 days with night in the small free refuge d' Aula.
-Valley of Montgarri: Puente de Bonabé (1460m), 1520m, 5h.

Getting There

I describe the approach to normal route from Pla de la Lau. You must take the exit #20 (St.Girons) in the highway Tarbes-Toulousse. After St.Girons and Castillo-en-Couserans you cross Bordes sur Lez taking to left a deviation to Maison de Mont Valier and parking.


See bigger map

Red Tape

All the routes are long and for normal people is advisable sleeping in a refuge climbing the mountain in two days. Trained mountaineer can climb it in only one day in summer with a small backpack.

Camping

You don't have restrictions in this area and you have some good places near of the parking of Pla de la Lau in the plain of the river.

You have small campings in St Girons (Le Pont de Nert), Luzenac and Mauvezin de Prat (L'Estela).

Campings 3 stars:
Audinac in Audinac les Bains, near of St. Girons.

External Links

pirineos 3000, South route in Spanish.
nire mendiak, normal route in Spanish.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.