Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.41265°N / 11.83991°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 9616 ft / 2931 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sasso Vernale map

You can start climbing from any of the 3 points:
from Contrintal or from Val Ombretta or Passo San Pellegrino.
The most recommendable is the latter starting point - according to the least ascend you need to make, i.e. about 3600 feet. If the ramp is up, the first few kilometres can be covered by car Turn left about 2 km below Passo San Pellegrino (from the road direction Agordo); the narrow road will take you to the parking place for Malga Fuchiada (6469 feet), which can be reached in about 30 minutes.

After an hour and a half you achieve Passo delle Cirelle (8802 feet), from where the views are breathtaking: Sasso Longo in the left background, the left wall of Marmolada, the pyramid outline of Sasso Vernale, our goal Cima Ombretolla, and some other pointed peaks. Following a gently ascending path (marked with occasional notices on the rocks: Rifugio Falier) you find yourself on Passo d'Ombrettola (9396 feet), from where you can continue (if you are a daring and skillful climber)to the left to Sasso Vernale (10.032 feet), or turn right for a much easier goal - Cima Ombrettola. It takes only ten minutes to reach the top. A great award awaits you there -the views of the Pala Mountain and many others on the opposite side of Passo San Pellegrino.
Apart from these views one can also enjoy observing occasional herds of wild goats that don't seem to be intimidated by human presence at all.

Getting There

Add Getting There text here.

Red Tape

Add Red Tape text here.

Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Marmolada GroupMountains & Rocks