Sgor na h-Ulaidh

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 56.62224°N / 5.07019°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3261 ft / 994 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sgor na h-Ulaidh (Skor na Hoolee) is an attractive mountain that is one of the GlenCoe peaks of Scotland. It's name is derived from Gaelic meaning "peak of treasure" and rightfully so. It often considered to be the forgotten mountain of GlenCoe. This is due to the fact that the bulk of it's mass is obscured from view behind the imposing character of Bidean nan Bian. This allows only the northern tip of it's Aonach Dubh a Ghlinne ridge to be seen from the pass of the famous glen.

 
Hidden Treasure
 


Discription

Sgor na h-Ulaidh makes it stance at the head of Glen Creran to the south and rises from Allt na Muidhe to the north. It is a very steep craggy mountain and just like most of the GlenCoe peaks has an impressively sculpted main buttress. One of Scotland's Munros find their residency here. It is made up of a complex t-bone shaped ridge system that is home to four major corries, Cor na Beinne being the most distinguished.

The views from Sgor na h-Ulaidh are absolutely fantastic. They open up to reveal some of the most beautiful and dramatic scenery Scotland has to offer. Their is an excellent chance that you will have this whole mountain to yourself and enjoy the views of the surrounding famous peaks in total solitude.

 
Loch Etive
 


Route

Sgor na h-Ulaidh is a moderate to a hard climb in the best of circumstances. In the winter, precautionary measures should be taken when trying to summit, as conditions can turn severe.
This is a 8.5 mile circuit route that navigates through two beautiful glens, gaining a height of 3300 feet . The most rewarding approach is to summit from the west. This is done making your way up Allt na Muidhe, which starts at the Gleann leac na-muidhe. Follow the glen up for 3 miles until you reach the bealach between Corr na Beinne and Meall Lighiche. Head southeast for the next half a mile. Here the climb is very steep and demanding. Gradually the ground levels off to a very fine ridge with a grand view of the peak of treasure. Proceed over the summit ridge and down to the bealach between the smaller satellite Munro of Stob an Fhuarain. Summit Fhuarain and follow the ridge to the east down to Bealach Fhionnghaill. Go down and follow the waters of Fionn Ghleann back around to the front Aonach Dubh a Ghlinne.
You can save some time and bypass Bealach Fhionnghaill via the eastern corrie. Here the terrain is rough and requires some care to make a safe descent through the exposed areas.
 
Three Munros
 

Getting There

From Glasgow take the M8 toward Erskine Bridge, here you join the A82 to Glencoe. Once in Glencoe stay straight until you reach the sharp bend in the road. Car park is on the right side before the bridge. You will see the sign for Gleann-leac na muidhe on the left.
 
Meall Lighiche
 

Map

 
Sgor na Hoolee Map
 

Accommodation

Sgor na h-Ulaidh's very own mountain cottages will comfortably accommodate 6 guests. This is definitely the way to go if rooms are available.
 
Glencoe Mountain Cottages
 


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

GlencoeMountains & Rocks