Bull of the Woods Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.60220°N / 105.4266°W
Additional Information County: Taos
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11657 ft / 3553 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
More Views
Autumn colors across the valley


Bull-of-the-Woods Mountain is in the Sangre de Cristo Range in New Mexico, United States. I have read that it is the 86th highest mountain in New Mexico and the 2013th highest mountain in the United States.

The top of the peak is an old mine with great views. It is a smaller peak that has been somewhat ravaged by mining, but is located is a scenic area and surrounded by lovely views.

Getting There & Route Information

 
View from the top
 
 
More Views
 
 
Trail sign
 
 
Tom & Sarah at summit
 

From Taos, New Mexico: Drive four miles north on New Mexico (NM) state road 522. At about four miles/the first traffic light out of town, turn right (east) on NM 150 and drive for 15 miles until reaching the Taos Ski Valley ski area. You can’t miss the "Taos Ski Valley" sign. Head into the upper parking lot, there are big trailhead signs in view from here.
The Wheeler Peak Trail is a trail running from the Taos Ski Valley parking lot to the Wheeler Peak -- the highest peak in New Mexico. Locals refer to the first part of the trail as the Bull of the Woods Trail since both Bull of the Woods pasture and Bull of the Woods Mountain are near the trail.

We made a full day of it and also did some nearby peaks: Frazer Mt, Mount Walter, Simpson Peak and Wheeler Peak (NM Highpoint).
Pick up the trailhead at Taos Ski Area 9390 ft/2862 m; expect an approximate vertical gain of 2250 ft/686 m. You will see a clear right turn up an old road to the peak, you get to pick your path as you near the top. It is an easy, short side trip on your way to Wheeler or on the way back. If you only have a few hours, it is a great little hike.

Red Tape

 
Private Property
 

The Taos Ski Valley owns the land Bull of the Woods rests on – they ask that you pay a fee/give a donation to climb it. Find the kiosk near the trailhead to get details. If you arrive at the trailhead you will see a sign stating restrictions and providing a phone number. Please respect the private property rights – we found the folks very happy and willing to help. And it is worth a small donation.

Camping

There are several Forest Service Campgrounds available on NM 150 before getting to the Taos Ski Valley. These include Lower Hondo, Cuchillo De Medio, Cuchillo, Italianos, and Twining. Most can accommodate trailers and tents, and have water and toilets. Twining campground is located at the Bull-of-the-Woods trailhead.

External Links

Ski Taos Website

Personal Significance

I've had a lot of great dogs over the year but one in particular was a second-hand, rescued pitbull named Bing.  Bing was taken by cancer in 2012. His nickname was “Bull of the Woods”. He was a great dog, loved by all and is greatly missed.  
Bing the Bull of the woods