Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.60357°N / 120.73258°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Okanogan/Skagit
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8366 ft / 2550 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Golden Horn Alpenglow
Alpenglow on Golden Horn

Golden Horn is listed under the Washington Top 100 and is located in the Okanogan National Forest in the eastern North Cascades just north of Rainy and Washington Pass. As evident from its name the peak's rock has a striking color as well as beautiful golden larches during the fall. This mountain offers great views of the Pasayten Wilderness, the surrounding Washington Pass area and to the south the Glacier Peak Wilderness. Golden Horn is a relatively easy climb but with a lot of approach miles and a few low 5th class moves at the end. Most do this peak in two days although if your speedy you can do it in one. Tower Mountain is located just south of Golden Horn and can be climbed in the same trip.

Golden Horn PanoramaGolden Horn Panorama taken October 2, 2010

Getting There

Diablo Lake Reflection
Diablo Lake on the Way
 
Golden Larches on the Way
Golden Larches on the way
From Seattle: Drive North along I-5 until you get to Arlington at exit 208. From here you take a right onto highway 530, in about 4 miles you take a left onto highway 9 for a few seconds and then take a right back onto highway 530. Then continue heading East for 27 miles until you get to Darrington. In Darrington you'll see a shell gas station where you take a left (north) which continues as highway 530 (to the right is the Mountain Loop Highway). Eventually you'll end up in Rockport where you should take a right onto highway 20. From here you'll pass through Marblemount, Newhalem, and then Diablo. After Diablo there are no more cities, which now head on over to Rainy Pass. At Rainy Pass take a left onto NFD Road 600, from here it goes to the trailhead.

From Winthrop (East Side of the Cascades): Drive East on Highway 20 for about 35 miles, on the way you head over Washington Pass which is an excellent stop for views and photos. At Rainy Pass take a right onto National Forest Development Road 600 which is a short distance to the trailhead.

If you prefer a bushwhacking approach you can start from the pull out at Swamp Creek on Highway 20 (3 miles before you get to Rainy Pass). If you are coming from the east, you can park at the Cutthroat Lake trailhead and follow Cutthroat Lake trail to PCNST.

Route Information

The adventure starts out as a nice trail walk through the woods with clearings which you can see Black Peak, Corteo Peak, and a few others. There is only one main creek crossing on the entire trip near the beginning which is easy (last time I was here there was a log crossing).

The PCT TrailThe Trail


As you're hiking along, you may encounter many hikers trekking to Canada, after all your on the Pacific Crest Trail. The trail remains nice and smooth all the way to Cutthroat Pass, about a mile before the Pass there is a nice place for camping with a creek for filtering water. At the pass alone you are rewarded with great views of the North Cascades extending from Hinkhouse Peak, Silverstar, Cutthroat Peak, and in the distance you can see Dome Peak.

Sunshine here we comeJust before the Pass

 

Golden Light on the MountainSunrise near the Pass

 

Dome Peak from the PassDome Peak in the Distance

 

The Golden PathwayThe Golden Pathway

 

Tower MountainTower Mountain


From Cutthroat Pass be sure to go left (North East) which now traverses Point 7331. Eventually after traversing onto the other side of the mountain you start to lose elevation going down to Granite Pass, since the trail zig zags a lot.

Tower Mountain PanoramaTower Mountain Panorama looking North


After Granite Pass the trail gently traverses the bottom of Tower Mountain. The trail eventually dips towards Snowy Lakes (North) where there is an unlabeled turn off trail. From here the trail takes you to snowy lakes which I give the nickname "Snowy Lakes Basin". There are some excellent choices for camping here, as well as a nice place to relax and enjoy the good views. But don't stop here, the views get better on Golden Horn (although you loose some of the fall Golden Larches as you go higher).

Mount Hardy with Golden LarchesMount Hardy with Golden Larches

 

The Lower Snowy LakeLower Snowy Lake Panorama

 

Upper Snowy Lake PanoramaUpper Snowy Lake Panorama

 

Fall Colors at Snowy LakeSnowy Lake with Tower Mountain


Beyond the lakes the trail goes away (although you might get small traces of it for a little while), head in the general direction of Golden Horn staying lower to avoid some upper rock scree and such. The way I climbed Golden Horn was diagonally going across the scree field. Then once you get to the final ridge you may be intimidated by Golden Horn's steep face. I know I sure was, but keep going. Traverse around the edge of Golden Horn until you're on it's Southwest side. Here's were it gets interesting, this part is a class 2-3 scramble which takes the gully on the left, I made the mistake of taking the one on the right and traversed a sketchy part to go around the East Face of Golden Horn. Once you're next to the summit you may notice some rappel rings, if you brought a rope, now is the time to use it. If your feeling comfortable enough you can climb this without a rope, but remember there is also the way down you have to deal with. Although I did touch the summit of Golden Horn, I never actually stood on it due to how unflat it is and the exposure all around. From the summit your rewarded with great views of the North Cascades. Congrats, you earned it!

The Ridge up Golden HornThe Ridge up Golden Horn

 

The Final Summit BlockThe Last Few Feet

 

Looking WestLooking West

 

Classic Fall Moment in the North CascadesViews of Silver Star Peak during Sunset on the way Back

Red Tape & Camping

Red Tape: A Northwest Forest Pass is required at the trailhead. There is no need for a backcountry permit because this peak is not located in the North Cascades National Park.

Camping: There are excellent campsites along the PCNST and especially at the Snowy Lakes area right at the base of the mountain.
 

Gear to Bring

Golden Horn Summit
Roped up for the Summit
Surrounded By Peaks
Gear for the Climb

-10 Essentials

-Rope and Harness (optional) Keep in mind this is Fred Beckey's Class 3 which means 10-15 feet of low class 5. I did this part unroped but had to carefully descend the top and hold on to the rappel slings. The rest of my group did not feel comfortable without a rope to summit.

-Ice Ace (if early season)

-Tent (if your staying overnight as well as over night gear)

-Helmet (optional) You do travel into a gully section near the summit which I've seen people bring helmets.

 

When To Climb

Most folks climb this peak July though October. It can be done in May-June but may be snowy at the top making the summit more difficult. The road is closed at least half the year making it important to check the road conditions before climbing this peak. During summer it's usually open. Late September and early October is prime time to be here considering the golden larches are at their peak.
Aerial View from Helicopter,...Aerial View from a Helicopter during April

Golden Horn fr Methow PinnaclesGolden Horn from Methow Pinnacles

Mountain Conditions

For Weather information check in with the Noaa Forecast.

For Avalanche forecast's check in with the North West Avalanche Center.

Click here for road conditions for Rainy Pass and Washington Pass.
Stormy TowersStormy weather over Tower and Golden Horn

Topographic Maps

Golden Horn TopoUpper Golden Horn Map
Cutthroat Pass TopoLower Golden Horn Map

Video


Tower and Golden Horn Video by Gimpilator

External Trip Reports



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.