Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.93980°N / 121.26447°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6473 ft / 1973 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Goat Peak is located just off Highway 410 near Mount Rainier. Having slightly over 800 feet of prominence, it stands proud above nearby terrain and offers great views of Mount Rainier to the west and the Stuart Range to the north. It also lies just far enough east from Chinook Pass that it is clear much more often then peaks just a little further west. In the fall the display of western larches is beautiful. This is the best time to visit this peak right when the color is at the peak around the end of October.

LarchesLarches on Goat Peak trail
Fifes PeakLarches on Goat Peak trail

Getting There

From Seattle

If you are coming from the Seattle area, there are two main routes to the trailhead. During the summer season, when Chinook Pass is open it is best to take SR 167 south from Renton and continue on SR 410 heading east. Pass through Buckley and Enumclaw and enter Mount Rainier National Park. Continue past the White River Road and bear left at a junction. If you continue right, you will end up heading south on SR 123. Heading left, you quickly begin climbing up Chinook Pass. From the pass, descend east for 14 miles to Hells Crossing, where the highway crosses the American River for the frist time. Just past this bridge is a large pull-out which marks the Goat Peak trailhead. From downtown Seattle, this drive is 100 miles and takes about 2.5 hours. If Chinook Pass is closed, you will need to drive I-90 east to Ellensburg, continue east on I-82 to Yakima than take US 12 west for 17 miles and bear right onto SR 410. Once on SR 410 continue 31 miles to the trailhead at Hells Crossing.

Naches LoopBeautiful view from Chinook Pass

Route - Goat Peak Trail

This peak has a trail heading the entire way up. It begins right at the trailhead next to the bridge. You want to make sure and take the trail heading left (the one going up). It starts climbing up through forests of pine and larches, follows a small stream a bit then switchbacks up the north slopes before following along the north ridge to the summit. Just before reaching the summit you will pass a signed trail junction for the American Ridge Trail. Don't take this trail but continue to the right. Views of the gold and yellow western larches can be found everywhere in the fall. This trail is fairly steep and offers no flat sections making it a good training hike. It's four miles long each way and rises 3,200 feet.

Goat PeakLarches on Goat Peak trail
LarchesLarches on Goat Peak trail
The summit rocksGoat Peak summit

Views of Fifes Peak across the valley are quite impressive.

Goat PeakFifes Peak across the valley
Fifes PeakFifes Peak across the valley
Fifes Peak
Fifes Peak

Camping

There are a few good camp grounds along Highway 410 between the trailhead and Chinook Pass including the Pleasant Valley, Lodgepole, Hells Crossing, and Pine Needle Campgrounds. All these will require a fee. You could camp off the highway at the trailhead as well but camping along the trail doesn't make much sense as this is nearly always done as a day hike.

Red Tape

This trail enters wilderness so no motorized vehicles or bikes are allowed on the trail. A NW Forest Pass is NOT required to park at the trailhead!

Summit Views

Goat Peak summit Panorama
Goat Peak Summit Panorama


Stuart RangeStuart Range from Goat Peak
Mount RainierMount Rainier from Goat Peak

Map

Goat Peak Map 

External Links

See NOAA for a weather forecast for the peak.

See NWAC for an avalanche forecast during the winter.

See this page for more great information about the peak including the American Ridge Trail and more photos.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

excosray - Jul 24, 2013 3:35 am - Hasn't voted

NW Trail Pass? no

When I asked at the Naches RD on July 26, 2013, I was told the Hell's Crossing trailhead to Goat Peak does NOT require a NW Trail Pass and indeed there was no requirement sign posted at the trailhead either.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Aug 1, 2013 6:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: NW Trail Pass? no

Thanks for the update! Actually, I believe it is now illegal for the Forest Service to require people to pay to park anywhere just as long as you don't use any provided facilities. I never buy one. I will update the page.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.